No announcement yet.

Broadwell Linux Ultrabook Running MUCH Cooler Than Haswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This article is bullshit? sigh. "Oh this computer is hotter than the other so the CPU must be less efficient!" Yeah right.

Comment

Comparing temps with different cooling systems is pointless. I can make any CPU cooler by turning up the fan speed and creating more noise.

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
      My problem is that frequency on laptops and desktops are not growing- stagnation
      You're completely ignoring core count, IPC, graphics performance, etc. By your logic, a 3.4GHz Prescott is faster than a lot of the current Core i5 lineup...

Comment

I would like to see a wattage comparison. The thermal comparison doesn't really mean much because the laptop build comes into play (heatsink size/material, fan efficiency, etc).

I never realized how hot your zenbook got and that it was only a dual core part! I've got the sager version of the System76 laptop you reviewed before you got the zenbook, the one with the iris 5200. This thing never breaks 85c in gaming or compiling conditions, it's a quad core with an extra 128MB of on package memory and I upped the TDP to 50watts with Intel's XTU. I saw how quickly your zenbook reached max temp and that tells me there is a problem with your heatsink size or CPU contact. I can't imagine you haven't already tried reseating the heatsink, lapped it or used different thermal grease? I actually had to lap my heatsink because it was arched in the middle by 1 mm, made a huge difference after.

Anyway, back to topic. It seems your broadwell benchmarks are between 20%-30% faster and run a lot cooler, both of these cannot be explained by a 35% shrink. I'm thinking the build quality of the zenbook is the culprit. At most there should be a modest performance bump (20% sounds right) with the same or similar temps. Or there should be almost equal performance with a bit lower temps. Not both.

Comment

Sperm

A hot laptop in your lap will heat up your semen and kill your sperm.

Comment

What about battery length on the Carbon X1 ?

Comment

Originally posted by davcri View Post
              What about battery length on the Carbon X1 ?
              Coming in another article.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Coming in another article.
                Great! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  Thinkpad have 70 degrees C cutoff before they start throttling. Comparing only a single parameter does not add much value to the result. Sustained CPU frequency and temperature graph would add more value to the test resutl. Additionally Intel allows the manufacturer to configure the max TDP and SPD.
                  I think you mean 90 degrees, unless they throttle earlier on the X models because they are thinner and more likely to burn the user? My ThinkPad W520 always ends up at 92C when compiling with all cores, still faster than all other laptops with the same CPU though, so I guess more heats gets out before throttling.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Again this was just some basic results tossed together of the X1 Carbon compared to old data for a quick one page article.... But as you can see from the OpenBenchmarking.org result file, the ThinkPad simply wasn't throttling or doing something to cause poor performance for lower temps as the CPU/GPU results are very good. Again, more tests are coming of various factors.
                    It was throttling in cray. And you didn't provide CPU MHz readings.
                    I think you should send the zenbook back it has an obvious issue. Have you tried replacing the thermal paste? Or perhaps something is loose because that temp is really not normal.

Comment

Working...
                    X