Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadwell Linux Ultrabook Running MUCH Cooler Than Haswell

Phoronix: Broadwell Linux Ultrabook Running MUCH Cooler Than Haswell

Aside from the performance benefits of Broadwell, particularly in having greater graphics capabilities, laptops and ultrabook designs are much more power efficient than former Haswell products. Here's some quick tests I did today comparing the Broadwell-based Core i7 ThinkPad X1 Carbon to my former Haswell-based Core i7 ASUS Zenbook ultrabook...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I has nothing to do with Broadwell being more efficient than Haswell (or at least it doesn't affect the result for more than a 30%), instead it has something to do with well-designed laptops vs crappy laptops.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Thinkpad have 70 degrees C cutoff before they start throttling. Comparing only a single parameter does not add much value to the result. Sustained CPU frequency and temperature graph would add more value to the test resutl. Additionally Intel allows the manufacturer to configure the max TDP and SPD.

Comment

If i can guess probably Iris is not that well supported on Linux That is Iris 5100 vs HD 5500, isn't it Michael? That Iris should be faster then that HD even it is older ... but whatever happens there, it is 25% slower - expected should be probably other way around

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          Thinkpad have 70 degrees C cutoff before they start throttling. Comparing only a single parameter does not add much value to the result. Sustained CPU frequency and temperature graph would add more value to the test resutl. Additionally Intel allows the manufacturer to configure the max TDP and SPD.
          Again this was just some basic results tossed together of the X1 Carbon compared to old data for a quick one page article.... But as you can see from the OpenBenchmarking.org result file, the ThinkPad simply wasn't throttling or doing something to cause poor performance for lower temps as the CPU/GPU results are very good. Again, more tests are coming of various factors.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            That is Iris 5100 vs HD 5500, isn't it Michael? That Iris should be faster then that HD even it is older ... but whatever happens there, it is 25% slower - expected should be probably other way around
            I guess the reason is very old drivers vs shiny new Broadwell drivers:
            I did run some benchmarks today comparing the X1 Carbon to some old thermal results I had for the ASUS Zenbook UX301LA
            This is only about thermal results.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Ah OK, Michael explain it - not real comparison, but just tossed together results

Not sure if that make some sense, but OK
              Last edited by dungeon; 25 January 2015, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                I has nothing to do with Broadwell being more efficient than Haswell (or at least it doesn't affect the result for more than a 30%), instead it has something to do with well-designed laptops vs crappy laptops.
                My problem is that frequency on laptops and desktops are not growing- stagnation. A broadwell could have a top standard speed of 3ghz reaching the same tdp of haswell.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
                  My problem is that frequency on laptops and desktops are not growing- stagnation. A broadwell could have a top standard speed of 3ghz reaching the same tdp of haswell.
                  They does not stagnate in this comparison first has Iris 5100 so it is not ideal, an ideal comparison would be something with Iris 6100 And those Haswell/Broadwells with Iris are 28W and not 15W devices:

So this termal differences are expected

Comment

Well now this makes me even less interested in using a hipsterthin than I was before, the thermal issues are worse than I thought

Comment

Working...
                    X