Linux Users Upset By Chromium's Busted HiDPI Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Well, Firefox do win some benchmarks, but in the jungle the fox get eaten by Chromium. Try some JavaScript heavy sites, like Jalopnik or Kotaku. Load pages with more than 200, 300 comments. Load then all. Then see Firefox suffering to scroll the page. I dare you to have the patience to load articles with more than 500 comments. Do the same with Chrome/Chromium and see the difference.

Or try to load several tabs in sequence, like when you visit Phoronix and middle-click 10 articles in a fell seconds. As you do it, see how Firefox struggles to scroll down the front page while it loads the new tabs in the background. Do the same with Chromium and see the difference.

Firefox do very well in simpler websites, but in some others it is slower than a turtle. Is more evident in weak cpus, but I have a friend with a overclocked Core i7 that complains about Firefox sluggishness too.
    Is this related specifically to the high DPI issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
      Why the fuck do people buy these hidpi monitors? It makes no sense! Unless you are a graphics designer or use video editing why would you use such insane resolutions on laptop monitors? And what is the insanity with 500+dpi on mobile phones? Those things are 5 inches? Why do you need that pixel density? If you try to run a game you'll get 20 fps since it kills the video card to render such high resolutions. Why are the hidpi monitors invented? They aren't usable on windows so who the fuck uses them? I understand apple because they are hipsters but the rest of the world?

I have a 17.3 inch monitor with FHD resolution. It is perfect. You do not need more. Stop trying to convince yourself that you do! Now!
      Clueless. I consider you to be a low user. I am typing this on a 3200 x 1800, and it is barely sufficient for those who are enlightened. If you want to browse facebook all day long, continue thinking you have a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
        QuickTime has nothing to do with rekonq.
        1) QuickTime is an Apple video player
        2) Rekonq is planning to switch to qt web engine since a long time:
        Here we are again, after a tiny pause, ready for a new release! Rekonq 2.4.0 has been released to the wild! What’s new in this release? Here is a short summary of the most interesting things:
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Why the fuck do people buy these hidpi monitors? It makes no sense! Unless you are a graphics designer or use video editing why would you use such insane resolutions on laptop monitors? And what is the insanity with 500+dpi on mobile phones? Those things are 5 inches? Why do you need that pixel density? If you try to run a game you'll get 20 fps since it kills the video card to render such high resolutions. Why are the hidpi monitors invented? They aren't usable on windows so who the fuck uses them? I understand apple because they are hipsters but the rest of the world?

I have a 17.3 inch monitor with FHD resolution. It is perfect. You do not need more. Stop trying to convince yourself that you do! Now!
          Stop being dumb. HiDPI is great. It is particularly good for being extremely clear. Graphics cards are getting more and more powerful. Windows 10 supports HiDPI fine and is in public beta due to be released soon. Once you use HiDPI you can never go back to the jagged edges of standard DPI.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
            Windows 10 supports HiDPI fine
            Windows 8.1 doesn't and I would NEVER sell a Windows 8 laptop with an Hi-DPI monitor: it's pathetic because it actually looks worse than a 1366x768 screen
            ## VGA ##

Comment

You must be one of those guys who can tell a 450 dpi mobile screen from a 513 dpi one.... sure thing jim!
              Stop saying bullshit, there is a huge difference between a 1366x768 13" laptop and a 2560x1600 one. If you say otherwise you never saw it yourself. Anything below 2560x1600 is a nonsense because it will not scale well with a 2x factor (which is equivalent to a 1280x800 resolution). The only reason to have so many pixel is because we need INTEGER scaling to scale well.
              ## VGA ##

Comment

Yes there is a big difference. A big difference for your graphics card to render all those pixels.
                Even integrated graphics are powerful enough to render 4K for 2D tasks, regarding games you can still do the rendering at half resolution and scale seamlessly with a 2x factor.

Again, unless you work in photoshop all day you don't actually need it.
                Bullshit, why shouldn't you want something which gives you a better experience? Difference is noticeable, especially with font rendering (ie browsing).

Combine it with the fact that windows doesn't scale well on those screens and you really don't need it.
                I completely agree, I would never sell an HiDPI Windows laptop nowadays, things will change with Windows 10.

Stop with this bullshit, most office drones that edit texts in notepad and word don't need those high resolutions.
                Again: fonts.

In fact I already keep a lot of websites on 125% or 150% in chrome since the writing is too small.
                This is enough to prove that you don't have the slightest idea of how HiDPI is supposed to work
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Yes there is a big difference. A big difference for your graphics card to render all those pixels. Again, unless you work in photoshop all day you don't actually need it. Combine it with the fact that windows doesn't scale well on those screens and you really don't need it. Stop with this bullshit, most office drones that edit texts in notepad and word don't need those high resolutions. I have a full HD screen and it's more than enough. More than this and things would get hard to read. In fact I already keep a lot of websites on 125% or 150% in chrome since the writing is too small.
                  I haven't used one yet. But, I am under the impression that if you have an interface that supports HiDPI then it scales fonts and such appropriately so as to be comfortable.

Comment

I tried switching to Chromium since Firefox didn't handle a large number of tabs very well even with 32GB ram, but Chromium surprisingly handled it even more poorly even though it uses separate processes so I switched back. Both started choking well under even 6GB of memory use.

If you see problems with either locking up while khugepaged shows high cpu usage the following seemed to help me:

echo never > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled

Comment

I'm saying that right now with no scaling in windows on a 17.3 inch FHD screen you already need to zoom stuff to see correctly. Giving someone a QHD or more screen will only make him scale stuff in the browser more.
                      You will not have to press CTRL+ in your browser with an HiDPI screen. HiDPI has nothing to do with small fonts.

Font rendering? WTF is wrong with you? Do you mean you couldn't read text before? Waste so much more battery life just so you have better curves on letters? Curves that you don't even see if more than 1 feet away?
                      Please stop using stupid units which noone else understands:

## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                      X