Linux Users Upset By Chromium's Busted HiDPI Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Don't you listen to me? 300 DPI would be enough to get the best visual experience, *BUT* if you want a pleasant scaling you will need a resolution which is an integer multiple of the standard ones. This is why we need insane DPI like 400-500. In fact if you scale 2x a 300DPI resolution then fonts will be too large, on the contrary if you don't scale at all then fonts will be too little. The need for 400+ DPI isn't a matter of eye vision: it is a software implementation necessity. As simple as that.
    1) Scaling is an awful solution. It's a temporary stopgap, but won't be needed in the long term.
    2) the screen in front of me is a high low resolution one (ie, not HiDPI, but fonts are tiny) and is 90DPI. you would get good scaling at 200 and 300DPI, I don't get why 400-500 would be necessary. Do you have an example of a use case where 400 DPI and above would be necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
      1) Scaling is an awful solution. It's a temporary stopgap, but won't be needed in the long term.
      2) the screen in front of me is a high low resolution one (ie, not HiDPI, but fonts are tiny) and is 90DPI. you would get good scaling at 200 and 300DPI, I don't get why 400-500 would be necessary. Do you have an example of a use case where 400 DPI and above would be necessary?
      On this machine (14", 1600x900) the perfect resolution for my vision would probably be 4800x2700, since twice the density (3200x1800) isn't quite enough. And 4800x2700 at 14" are ~400ppi. On the desktop (currently 27", 2560x1440) I'd need 10240x5760 or at least 7680x4320 which is ~430ppi or ~320ppi. I base those numbers on some measurements I did - determine the minimum viewing distance at which I don't see any aliasing and so on and calculate the necessary resolution for my working distance based on that numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Chromium feels like a second-class citizen on Linux.
        It doesn't feel integrated and it blend in with the environment.
        It looks and behaves alien.

Opera are parasites, they leech from Chromium but do not contribute back patches/fixes for HiDPI support.

I think Firefox is the best web browser, especially on Linux where Chromium is in substandard shape.
        Firefox doesn't support 60 fps video on Youtube though

The second it does, i'm switching back.

Comment

Originally posted by silakka View Post
          Firefox doesn't support 60 fps video on Youtube though

The second it does, i'm switching back.
          Firefox 36 (the current beta) supports it in windows now. I'm not sure what their linux plans are.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Opera are parasites, they leech from Chromium but do not contribute back patches/fixes for HiDPI support.
            Actually Opera had released their HiDPI changes and proposed them for Chromium, but the changes were rejected . I'm sure Opera would be happy to try again if Chromium devs change their mind

Comment

Working...
            X