Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Users Upset By Chromium's Busted HiDPI Support

Phoronix: Linux Users Upset By Chromium's Busted HiDPI Support

While Chromium is usually quick to advance technology-wise and the Chrome/Chromium developers tend to be caring toward Linux, the support for HiDPI displays with the web-browser on Linux appears to be in bad shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Even HiDPI in Windows didn't work prior to Chrome 38, I guess we will have to switch browser...
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Even HiDPI in Windows didn't work prior to Chrome 38, I guess we will have to switch browser...
      Except Chrome is just that far ahead of the other browsers... nothing, not even Firefox comes close to being as responsive and fast as Chrome. It takes up a lot of memory, but that's what modern computers are for so if that's the trade-off I have to make I'm more than happy to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
        It takes up a lot of memory, but that's what modern computers are for so if that's the trade-off I have to make I'm more than happy to make it.
        NO, the trade-off is this shit:

## VGA ##

Comment

Reminds me of the Opera blog where they asked how come it's the only browser with good hidpi support.

"we gave all devs hidpi laptops"

Comment

Please give Chrome devs low ram, high dpi laptops
            ## VGA ##

Comment

Firefox

And that was exactly the reason why I switched back to Firefox a year ago when I bought my HiDPI laptop.

These days Chromium is better under Ubuntu than it used to be, but Chrome is still unusable.

Comment

Chromium feels like a second-class citizen on Linux.
                It doesn't feel integrated and it blend in with the environment.
                It looks and behaves alien.

Opera are parasites, they leech from Chromium but do not contribute back patches/fixes for HiDPI support.

I think Firefox is the best web browser, especially on Linux where Chromium is in substandard shape.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Opera are parasites, they leech from Chromium but do not contribute back patches/fixes for HiDPI support.

I think Firefox is the best web browser, especially on Linux where Chromium is in substandard shape.
                  Chromium also has horrible enough build system at least on Linux Fedora never accepted it to main repos even though it's opensource software

Comment

Not in KDE

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Firefox in KDE look exactly like you describe. Chrome/Chromium on the other hand works like a champ.

And if Firefox is so good, how it is so slow in websites with lots of JavaScript? I don't have a high dpi screen, so to me Chrome works the best in Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X