No announcement yet.

Intel Broadwell HD Graphics 5500: Windows 8.1 vs. Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to know it's still not nearly good enough for modern games. Looks like AMD is the way to go in this case. (Now where is their Rx M300 series...)

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Good to know it's still not nearly good enough for modern games.
      And never will be with that kind of bandwidth, look at openarena bench - it sits where it is , even if manufacturing process is 2 nm that can't help... Only Iris might do something, i don't know how much bandwidth is better with those might be up to 60% or something.

As always for gaming, dedicated chips clocked high with their own faster memory and bus width low enough to not eat battery on laptops... are the way to go .

Yeah and good driver, i always forget that
      Last edited by dungeon; 24 January 2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Yep this pretty much solidifies that APUs still badly suck compared to mid-range or better discrete cards and the near $1900 Michael paid for this laptop (w/ tax) was way too much.

Comment

This is Intel's mainstream GPU. The fast one is HD 6100 (Iris) and the really fast one with dedicated memory is HD 6200 (Iris Pro).

Comment

??

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            And never will be with that kind of bandwidth, look at openarena bench - it sits where it is , even if manufacturing process is 2 nm that can't help... Only Iris might do something, i don't know how much bandwidth is better with those might be up to 60% or something.

As always for gaming, dedicated chips clocked high with their own faster memory and bus width low enough to not eat battery on laptops... are the way to go .

Yeah and good driver, i always forget that
            don forget the ddrm4 will resolve this bandwich problem, and dont fogert the intel iris hd, they are the best igpu out there

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
              don forget the ddrm4 will resolve this bandwich problem, and dont fogert the intel iris hd, they are the best igpu out there
              I will not forget i know, but those are future products in area of rumor so we will see about that

Intel Iris Pro is Mid-2015 and AMD Carrizo too

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                don forget the ddrm4 will resolve this bandwich problem
                It will not resolve diff between dedicated cards they will switch from GDDR5 to HBM - and now what? Same story in history

Last edited by dungeon; 24 January 2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

?

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  It will not resolve diff between dedicated cards they will switch from GDDR5 to HBM - and now what? Same story in history

you look nice in the photo

you are talking about igpu not dgpu dif markets

i will se carrizo, i doubt about amd miracles

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Yeah, that makes sense. In that case I agree with dungeon about 1366x768

I still think benches should be run on aspect ratios that make sense for the screens people have.
                    Right, and 1366x768, 1440x900, and 1920x1080 are probably the most common resolutions for laptops. Regardless, intel GPUs from Ivy Bridge and older aren't really any good beyond 720p.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                      Yep this pretty much solidifies that APUs still badly suck compared to mid-range or better discrete cards and the near $1900 Michael paid for this laptop (w/ tax) was way too much.
                      AMD APUs in average are much better than Intel....and cheaper too....alas, good luck findings good notebooks with top AMD APUs...not that i care too much because i only use mini-ITX.

Comment

Working...
                      X