• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    Competition never hurts, right?
    That's BS.
    Competition hurts cooperation.

I still have the sense that Wayland development speed only shifted into high gear after Canonical announced Mir.
    That's also BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      its gonna be ready before Mir ever is Ready
      Мир will be resting in мир, long before Мир is ever ready. I don't think Shuttleworth is ever going to get over this one - it blew up in his face in the worst of ways.

Comment

Competition never hurts, right? I still have the sense that Wayland development speed only shifted into high gear after Canonical announced Mir.
        Yeah, I hear you bro. I get a hard-on every morning, so I've been forced to conclude that erections cause the sun to rise.

Comment

To me, that's a bad use of the GPL because it discourages contributors. Either go BSD/MIT/Apache (anyone can make a proprietary version or GPL fork)
          Where did this idea come from that you can just take a BSD/MIT-licensed software and arbitrarily relicense it?

That's not how licenses work. Go actually read the BSD license (it's not long!) It states quite clearly that it does not allow relicensing. The license would be pointless if you could just replace it with whatever you want!

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Yeah, I hear you bro. I get a hard-on every morning, so I've been forced to conclude that erections cause the sun to rise.
            ROTFL.. I can hardly wait to hear you expound on the big bang cause! Freakin Phoronix.... ))

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              sane people do not need proprietary shit like cuda
              BS, it works perfectly well and is supported by many applications. Often enough it's the only viable option available. Just look at e.g. Blender where CUDA is the preferred api for gpu computing. Blender is not the only application where CUDA works much better than OpenCL but it is one of the most well known.

and don't support with money anti-user companies like nvidia
              Nvidia is the only vendor offering a Linux driver which fully supports all features of their graphics cards with maximum performance. I'd call that very pro-consumer.

and high-end opengl will be available on open amd drivers by then
              Sure, of course. We have been told that for years now.

Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer a fully open source driver and I will buy an AMD card as soon as AMD is able to offer a driver which fully supports _ALL_ features of their graphics cards with maximum performance. But I'm not willing to spend 500€ on a graphics card where I can only use a fraction of the features with medicore performance. Like most users I want to get things done with my PC and not wait for better days.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                given the incompleteness of Wayland in Fedora 21, I doubt it would be ready in 23.
                I'd disagree. The Wayland preview in F21 is *mostly* usable. True, there are still some bits that aren't working, but it's good enough that I could log in and use it for a few days without major difficulty - if the drag/drop issue was fixed, I'd consider doing so permanently. I fully expect that by the time F22 is released, it'll be possible to use Wayland/Gnome as my regular desktop, even if Fedora isn't quite ready to make it the default. As for F23, no question - it'll be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  Not exactly. It needs something compatible with logind. A stub providing this could be implemented relatively easily, though all the systemd-related problems would remain (undocumented, moving target, etc.)
                  Hmm? systemd seems pretty well documented to me. Or are you talking about the code? That seems documented fairly well, but not having need to modify it I'm not really qualified to comment on it.

Comment

Oh, it's gonna piss me off so bad when systemd sucks in wayland.

Until then, Right on! I like it a lot!

EDIT: I hope systemd sucks in mir instead. That would serve them right.
                    Last edited by duby229; 20 January 2015, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
                      ... Gentoo and Slackware are out of wayland for gnome and KDE..
                      There are still XFCE, LXQt and Enlightenment.

Comment

Working...
                      X