Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 23 Likely To Pursue Wayland By Default

Phoronix: Fedora 23 Likely To Pursue Wayland By Default

While Wayland by default replacing the X.Org Server as the default display environment has been talked about for a while within the next-generation Fedora world, it looks like Fedora 23 could finally be the time that the switch happens...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Fedora 23 Likely To Pursue Wayland By Default

While Wayland by default replacing the X.Org Server as the default display environment has been talked about for a while within the next-generation Fedora world, it looks like Fedora 23 could finally be the time that the switch happens...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...and-Xorg-Plans
    given the incompleteness of Wayland in Fedora 21, I doubt it would be ready in 23.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      given the incompleteness of Wayland in Fedora 21, I doubt it would be ready in 23.
      Several key milestones will be done before Fedora 22, including Firefox GTK3 and Gnome 3.16.
      Don't forget there is almost one year before the final release of Fedora 23

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        its gonna be ready before Mir ever is Ready

Comment

Wayland on Fedora 23 would be going head-to-head with Ubuntu 15.10, which could quite possibly ship with Unity 8 + Mir on the desktop.
          Gnome 3 had a development head-start of almost four years on Unity 8. I'd be deeply surprised if they could catch up that fast.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
            Several key milestones will be done before Fedora 22, including Firefox GTK3 and Gnome 3.16.
            Don't forget there is almost one year before the final release of Fedora 23
            It mostly worked, the last time I tried it. When GNOME 3.16 is out, I might actually use Wayland by default.

Comment

How this will go while using Nvidia blob?! (ie. need cuda and high-end OpenGL support).

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                It mostly worked, the last time I tried it. When GNOME 3.16 is out, I might actually use Wayland by default.
                I'm planning to switch the Mageia development version (Cauldron) to use Wayland for GDM after Mageia 5 is out. That'll lead to a huge increase in testing.

Comment

Wayland IS ready.

The apps are not. Except if they use xwayland for the big and commercial ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                    its gonna be ready before Mir ever is Ready
                    Competition never hurts, right? I still have the sense that Wayland development speed only shifted into high gear after Canonical announced Mir. So even if the only benefit to ever come from Mir is that it spurred improvements in Wayland, it's still a win.

And further, while I dislike several things Canonical did around the process of developing Mir, I don't have enough technical understanding of the architectural differences to call it technologically inferior. I dislike that Canonical started it in secret without telling Ubuntu community members that were working hard on Wayland for months after Canonical decided not to use it. I also dislike that Canonical demands copyright assignment from Mir contributors and then releases Mir under GPL. To me, that's a bad use of the GPL because it discourages contributors. Either go BSD/MIT/Apache (anyone can make a proprietary version or GPL fork) or go GPL without contributor copyright assignment (nobody can make a proprietary version). GPL with copyright assignment means only Canonical can release a proprietary version, nobody else can, and if I was a developer in this area that would push me hard towards Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X