X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    Bobcat in June 2009?
    Are you kidding?
    If you'd have waited till a year and a half you wouldn't have ended up with something that was obsolete before it ever came to market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      If you'd have waited till a year and a half you wouldn't have ended up with something that was obsolete before it ever came to market.
      Can you imagine people can't wait a year and a half?

Which netbook (with a non glare display, a usable keyboard and a case, where you don't see every fingerprint) should I have bought in mid 2009 in your view?
      And no, the VIA Nanos were not a reasonable solution.

And no, it isn't obsolete till today.

Comment

• Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
        Can you imagine people can't wait a year and a half?

Which netbook (with a non glare display, a usable keyboard and a case, where you don't see every fingerprint) should I have bought in mid 2009 in your view?
        And no, the VIA Nanos were not a reasonable solution.

And no, it isn't obsolete till today.
        I'm not saying anything about the particular netbook that you picked. I'm sure for whatever reasons you chose it, it suited you fine. All I'm saying is that CPU was obsolete in 2007. And Intel knew it, but did what they did anyway. It's Intel's fault you got stuck with the junk you got stuck with.

Comment

• I think RedHat has gone mad when it comes to 64-bit ARMs. Hey, RedHat, are you nuts? I can see zounds of ARM single board computers and virtually all of them are 32 bit. Going 64bit-only would mean there is virtually no ARM hardware to run Fedora on. It seems RedHat thinks they have got way too many users across enthusiasts, aren't they? FAIL, FAIL, FAIL.

And when it comes to 32 bit on x86, there're still some 32-bit PCs around, used by people I know. They are fine with what they have and unwilling to upgrade working things. Sure, Fedora isn't good choice for weak computers, Xubuntu or Lubuntu would do it better. Yet, as it's easy to guess I would prefer to deal more or less with uniform systems set. So these people around me would use 32-bit Xubuntu. Because I'm familiar with it and it is still 1st class citizen. And will stay as such for a while thanks to LTS releases. OTOH RedHat took a lot of efforts to make using their systems quite uncomfortable and miserably failing in such corner cases I personally need or want. So dear RedHat, IMO your policy just suxx.

Comment

• Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
            I think RedHat has gone mad when it comes to 64-bit ARMs. Hey, RedHat, are you nuts? I can see zounds of ARM single board computers and virtually all of them are 32 bit. Going 64bit-only would mean there is virtually no ARM hardware to run Fedora on. It seems RedHat thinks they have got way too many users across enthusiasts, aren't they? FAIL, FAIL, FAIL.

And when it comes to 32 bit on x86, there're still some 32-bit PCs around, used by people I know. They are fine with what they have and unwilling to upgrade working things. Sure, Fedora isn't good choice for weak computers, Xubuntu or Lubuntu would do it better. Yet, as it's easy to guess I would prefer to deal more or less with uniform systems set. So these people around me would use 32-bit Xubuntu. Because I'm familiar with it and it is still 1st class citizen. And will stay as such for a while thanks to LTS releases. OTOH RedHat took a lot of efforts to make using their systems quite uncomfortable and miserably failing in such corner cases I personally need or want. So dear RedHat, IMO your policy just suxx.
            expect Windows10 to be the last 32bit release also. the future is 64bit. IMO if people can afford to pay for the internet, they can afford to buy a 64bit PC.

also, if people can afford to pay for paytv an the internet, hey can afford a 64bit PC

Comment

• Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              expect Windows10 to be the last 32bit release also.
              As I already told somewhere, I do not give it a fsck what would happen to windows at all. I stopped using windows and most people around me who needs just some few web sites, email and somesuch are using same Linux as me. Just because I can get it on wheels fast and comfortable with troubleshooting and optimizing it. On side note I can admit Xubuntu gives me about 10 times less headache compared to Windows. No viruses, malware, all these damned toolbars in browsers and adware crap.

the future is 64bit.
              While 64 bits have some advantages in some places, it's not like if its something groundbreaking.

IMO if people can afford to pay for the internet, they can afford to buy a 64bit PC.
              Maybe some people are silly, but try reading it twice: prople are completely satisfied with their PCs and not going to change them just because some external fucks want them to do so. One more reason to sent MS to hell, btw. So for me such artificial hardware aging without any proper technical reasons behind it sounds like attempt to squeeze some extra bucks in forced racket-style way and like attempts to force someone to do something they do not need or want.

Just imagine I would declare your house door suxx, outdated and you should really replace it. Now. Not because you're unhappy with existing door but because I'm eager to sell you another one. Better, improved version, blah-blah-blah. New doors use super-alloys, composite materials and somesuch. And your does not? What a dinosaur!

also, if people can afford to pay for paytv an the internet, hey can afford a 64bit PC
              Sure, you can afford better door. Abandon all plans and go buy new door. I bet you can afford one.

And hell yeah, there is plenty of small 32-bit ARM boards, usually credit-card sized or less. These are neat for making some custom in-place solutions, various controllers, real things for Internen Of Things, etc. They have more than enough horsepower for these tasks, low-power and small. And cheap. I do not see anything comparable in 64 bit flavour. But of course RedHat can turn their back to their fans once more. This is so common for RedHat to ignore all usecases not needed by RH itself.

Comment

I think RedHat has gone mad when it comes to 64-bit ARMs. Hey, RedHat, are you nuts? I can see zounds of ARM single board computers and virtually all of them are 32 bit. Going 64bit-only would mean there is virtually no ARM hardware to run Fedora on. It seems RedHat thinks they have got way too many users across enthusiasts, aren't they? FAIL, FAIL, FAIL.

Well, the dropping of 32bit ARM does sound odd. There shouldn't be a reason to deal with all 32bit archs in one bunch. I understand the dropping of i386, that does make some sense as Fedora afaik doesn't target tablets

Comment

• again guys one guy proposed to do that, its no official desition from redhat. And even if they do that most likely there is still a 32bit version availible its just no major target anymore, so you have to wait maybe 2 weeks longer for a new version on that 32bit pc.

So come down.

Comment

Maybe some people are silly, but try reading it twice: prople are completely satisfied with their PCs and not going to change them just because some external fucks want them to do so. One more reason to sent MS to hell, btw. So for me such artificial hardware aging without any proper technical reasons behind it sounds like attempt to squeeze some extra bucks in forced racket-style way and like attempts to force someone to do something they do not need or want.

Just imagine I would declare your house door suxx, outdated and you should really replace it. Now. Not because you're unhappy with existing door but because I'm eager to sell you another one. Better, improved version, blah-blah-blah. New doors use super-alloys, composite materials and somesuch. And your does not? What a dinosaur!

Sure, you can afford better door. Abandon all plans and go buy new door. I bet you can afford one.
                    Artificial hardware aging... this is the stupidest thing I've seen this whole thread. Nobody artificially ages hardware in the PC sphere (Not Microsoft, not Linux, not even Apple), the simple reality is that computers are doing a lot more now than they were in the 2000, doing more stuff requires more resources to throw at a problem, and sometimes newer hardware is required to support security features (NX bit for example). If you want to run with hardware that isn't capable of handling such things that's your prerogative, but don't complain when they don't want to support you. There's nobody running around and taking away the software that is currently installed on those machines right now, so you can sit on that version for forever if it so pleases you, but the consequences of doing so, just like the consequences of running outdated hardware are all yours. We are not responsible for supporting your decision to do this.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      again guys one guy proposed to do that, its no official desition from redhat. And even if they do that most likely there is still a 32bit version availible its just no major target anymore, so you have to wait maybe 2 weeks longer for a new version on that 32bit pc.

So come down.
                      Well, depends. I think PPC32 has three or four Fedora releases when they couldn't release anything sue to lack of manpower. Putting i386 at the hands of enthusiasts might well mean it sometimes skips releases too if necessary

Comment

Working...
                      X