A Proposal To Go 64-bit Only With Fedora 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    and sometimes newer hardware is required to support security features (NX bit for example).
    As I told, go buy new door for your house! It made of super-alloys, hi-tech composite mats and can even withstand some small artillery rounds! Of course as long as rest of your house does not collapses.

If you want to run with hardware that isn't capable of handling such things that's your prerogative, but don't complain when they don't want to support you.
    Who are "they" who dare do decide which hardware one MUST use? Are "they" going to provide new hardware for free? Or they're just bunch of ignorant morons who deserve nothing but oblivion for such an awful attitude?

We are not responsible for supporting your decision to do this.
    But, still, you're globally responsible for premature aging of working hardware and its is irresponsible, both in terms of ecology (extra electronics waste) and users perception of such activity (something similar to racket). But fortunately its Linux and there will be some far more adequate distros who can make more sane overall picture.

And hmm, mumbling about security when facing your users to sort of racket/unpopular requirements is really interesting idea. I doubt any user faced such treatment would feel "secure" when it comes to dealing with you.

And sure, you do not owe me support as long as I do not pay for contract. And I do not owe you a good comments to whatever idiocy you're doing. Sounds fair enough, isn't it? So basically screw your users in rape style ... and face negative reputation as the result. What do you expect?

Comment

• Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
      As I told, go buy new door for your house! It made of super-alloys, hi-tech composite mats and can even withstand some small artillery rounds! Of course as long as rest of your house does not collapses.
      If you think that's the case why do you update your software? Surely all of those features, bug fixes, and security fixes do nothing right?

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
      Who are "they" who dare do decide which hardware one MUST use? Are "they" going to provide new hardware for free? Or they're just bunch of ignorant morons who deserve nothing but oblivion for such an awful attitude?
      They are the people who develop the software that you use. You are the one using their service and as a result you must comply with them. Who are you to demand that software developers support your outdated crap when you are nothing more than a tiny extremist luddite minority who for some reason demands updated software for extremely outdated hardware?

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
      But, still, you're globally responsible for premature aging of working hardware and its is irresponsible, both in terms of ecology (extra electronics waste) and users perception of such activity (something similar to racket). But fortunately its Linux and there will be some far more adequate distros who can make more sane overall picture.

And hmm, mumbling about security when facing your users to sort of racket/unpopular requirements is really interesting idea. I doubt any user faced such treatment would feel "secure" when it comes to dealing with you.

And sure, you do not owe me support as long as I do not pay for contract. And I do not owe you a good comments to whatever idiocy you're doing. Sounds fair enough, isn't it? So basically screw your users in rape style ... and face negative reputation as the result. What do you expect?
      nice luddite screed, too bad it's utterly devoid of any actual content.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Well, at least 99% of the time I'm looking straight on at the screen, so viewing angle is kinda like a non-issue for me. But, that's good to know, so thanks for the info.
        It helps allot for those of us that put the screens in portait, even at only 24" the top and bottom edges of a TN based pannel wash out when looking dead on into the screen, if you go multi monitor this becomes far worse as the side screens are around 2/3rds washed out.

Comment

• Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
          Can you imagine people can't wait a year and a half?

Which netbook (with a non glare display, a usable keyboard and a case, where you don't see every fingerprint) should I have bought in mid 2009 in your view?
          And no, the VIA Nanos were not a reasonable solution.

And no, it isn't obsolete till today.
          I'd have just bought a 12-13" laptop with a full 64 bit CPU and a GPU that wasn't a turd instead, unlike the other guy, I'll blame you for choosing poorly as you seem to have some grasp of CPU tech, and as such knew full well what you where buying and that it was already obsolete before the first silicon was lithographed.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            Well, the dropping of 32bit ARM does sound odd. There shouldn't be a reason to deal with all 32bit archs in one bunch. I understand the dropping of i386, that does make some sense as Fedora afaik doesn't target tablets
            Sure there is, as I already stated, the driver situation for 32 bit ARM systems is absolutly terrible if you don't want to use the same OS version that the blob drivers support you could be in for massive headaches and for most hardware OSS drivers are barely 2d capable to non existent.

At least with stuff like AMD's ARM server board it has a full lenght, 8x PCIe electrical card slot, so that worse case secenario you throw a low end AMD GPU in it and bang, you have a fully working system.

Comment

• Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post

Lol, angry are we? Like I said several times in this thread and have said many times in the past, you can FIND NEWER FULLY 64 BIT, AMD/ATI or NVIDIA BASED GPU SYSTEMS FOR FREE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK. Doing so will give you a much better user experience then anything of the 32 bit era you're still clinging to, but I guess you like having the "large" sized youtube videos in VP8/9 or H.264/5 skipping becasue your CPU is maxxed out.
              Last edited by Kivada; 26 January 2015, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Netbook

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                I'd have just bought a 12-13" laptop ...
                I want something small and light I can always carry with me, so a 12-13" laptop wasn't a solution at all.

... it was already obsolete before the first silicon was lithographed.
                It is NOT obsolete till today!
                It doesn't make sense to use a 64 bit operating system with only 1 GB of RAM.

Comment

I want something small and light I can always carry with me, so a 12-13" laptop wasn't a solution at all.

As someone who regularly carries around a 15.6in laptop most places... what's wrong with a 12-13in laptop, particularly given that netbooks usually don't fall into the pocketable category and thus must still be bagged? It has to be about 7in before you get into the "I can shove it into a cargo pants side pocket" range.

Comment

Sure, I'd have wanted something smaller and lighter then the 12" G4 iBook I had been running Linux on at the time, but I wasn't about to buy an Atom CPU based on a neutered 32 bit CPU that was already obsolete at the time of it's release, the iBook was at least already old and had put in many years of service by that point and was covered in the battle scars of a laptop that had been dragged everywhere.

It only came with 1Gb of ram becasue thats what Microsoft forced them to use on it for XP starter edition becasue even maxed out with 4Gb of ram the dual core w/ HT Atom N330 w/ Nvidia Ion was far too slow for Vista, let alone the N270 with GMA 900 that most netbooks had becasue they disabled the power saving functions in the N330 so that it only made sense when used in Nettops, thoguh there was a handful of Netbooks that used them anyways with the Ion chipset so that the GPU was at least capable of HD video playback.
                    Last edited by Kivada; 26 January 2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Just to mention it, if you bought a computer in 2009 with only 1GB of RAM, you kinda screwed yourself.

Not to mention that running a 64bit OS on less than 4GB of RAM makes sense from the perspective of future compatibility. I've been running strictly 64bit OSes myself since 2004.

Comment

Working...
                      X