No announcement yet.

Khronos Needs Your Help Designing Next-Generation OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if it will break compatibility with traditional OpenGL, then it deserves new name.

BOGL sounds fine, where B stands for nothing... it might be from Better, Best or Broken whatever people like .

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      this is purely speculation

those 2 questions are actually making most sense if you try understanding what they meant. they are checking how people perceive their trademark and how important both parts are. aka. how much role does referring standard as open play the role and how much as gl. aka. what would you need to recognize that this is gl and at same time without doubt think "it's brand new, not just update"

one of the things they are probably aware is that with big change they also need to direct marketing into direction which will not mislead as "just another opengl". call it opengl 5 and it will be just another version in most peoples minds. sadly, this is how most people are wired.

in my wild guess i'd say they have few new names in mind and mostly derived from opengl, they just want to be sure to retain with most important perception under which we recognize it
      As someone else pointed out to me already the survey is about the name, and I did not read the description of the survey.

Nevertheless: "OpenGL" vs "Direct X" vs "Mantle". Nobody who buys video cards actually gives a damn about the name of the API. They care about conformance and performance. FPS to kill their perceived enemy or ability to draw detailed & realistic scenes from CAD or such software. M$ still owns the desktop: if M$ forces that API to be Direct X, WTF does Khronos expect to achieve by looking at the name of their 3D API?

Now, yer developers, they're more concerned about how many units of their title they can sell: thus platform; thus API; thus making love to Microsoft.

Nothing has changed in the last decade except Direct X has got faster and M$ has extended it's 3D API dominance

So Khronos pitches a survey and they want to know if I like the name: it worries me. If Khronos pitched a survey and asked whether I care about FPS or loss of map detail in the distance, or maybe whether the new "<open><GL>" can do what *CAD needs: well that would not worry me much.

What really worries me is Khronos is hiring ex-AMD marketers and deciding to throw all the bathwater out.
      Last edited by hoohoo; 17 January 2015, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
        I think openGL 5 would be ok. I tried to think for a better name, but nothing came out. There might be better names, but certainly some people would like to call it LibreGL.
        +1

And they'd re-implement large parts in Java to improve portability.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post

What really worries me is Khronos is hiring ex-AMD marketers and deciding to throw all the bathwater out.

OK bad typing fail there.

I meant:

"What really worries me is Khronos acting like it's hired ex-AMD marketers and deciding to...."

Comment

OK bad typing fail there.

I meant:

"What really worries me is Khronos acting like it's hired ex-AMD marketers and deciding to...."
            Wow basing your opinion on an API that isn't even out of development yet, and very few details are known.....we got a winner here.....

There has been no marketing yet. The performance target is a merging of Nvidia next gen API and Mantle. And like OGL4 it will be cross platform. If that isn't enough to make you drool then......(Insert random Linus outburst here)
            Last edited by grndzro; 17 January 2015, 03:20 AM.

Comment

they want to know if I like the name: it worries me. If Khronos pitched a survey and asked whether I care about FPS or loss of map detail in the distance, or maybe whether the new "<open><GL>" can do what *CAD needs: well that would not worry me much.
              Really? Because that would terrify me.

If they asked me whether I'm ok with an inferior product, that would be slow and have poor quality, what exactly would that mean? That they've completely given up trying to put out a good product and want to see if I'll put up with crap? I mean, performance and quality are pretty much the bare minimum that everyone expects, right? The one thing you absolutely can not screw up.

Polling people about a name is stupid, but at least it's harmless silliness. Not give up and roll over dead stupid.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 17 January 2015, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Well if it will break compatibility with traditional OpenGL, then it deserves new name.

BOGL sounds fine, where B stands for nothing... it might be from Better, Best or Broken whatever people like .
                It should keep the good parts and hence make it easier to move from Opengl 4.* to let's call it simply OpenGL 5.
                If it will be easier to move from ogl4 to dx than ogl5...it could have a bad impact.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                  It should keep the good parts and hence make it easier to move from Opengl 4.* to let's call it simply OpenGL 5.
                  If it will be easier to move from ogl4 to dx than ogl5...it could have a bad impact.
                  OpenGL 5 is small number , if i counted right OpenGL 5 will be 20th iteration of OpenGL, so they can easealy call it BOGL 20

That way it will be bigger number than DX 12 , because some people seems to like bigger numbers... Google Chrome started these numbering scheme and kill Firefox

People are stupid sometimes, so stupid .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    OpenGL 5 is small number , if i counted right OpenGL 5 will be 20th iteration of OpenGL, so they can easealy call it BOGL 20

That way it will be bigger number than DX 12 , because some people seems to like bigger numbers... Google Chrome started these numbering scheme and kill Firefox

People are stupid sometimes, so stupid .
                    I think you are on to something. It could be like a huge announcement and a flood of bibble babble jargon with each incremental release.

Comment

Numbers metters, if you ask most people - what is better? blah blah 12 or blah blah 5?

Most people will likely think, ah that with 12 sounds better because it is bigger number, probably more it is worked on it... and even if you said them second one 1.0 was avaliable in january 1992. is better one they will not believe you, because...

People should know that Direct3D reached number 5 in first 5 years back in year 1997. (out of mostly nowhere just like Google's Chrome) and OpenGL can't reach that number even after 23 years

So do not forget it is all about business and marketing... that is one more example how Microsoft and Google killing concurention, just by bigger version numbers right from the start

No it is no funny, numbers matters.
                      Last edited by dungeon; 17 January 2015, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X