Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Needs Your Help Designing Next-Generation OpenGL

Phoronix: Khronos Needs Your Help Designing Next-Generation OpenGL

Since last year the Khronos Group and their partners have been busy working on "OpenGL-Next" as the first huge overhaul to the OpenGL API and designed to compete with AMD's Mantle, Microsoft DirectX 12, and Apple's Metal. They're still working towards this new API but they need your help...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So in other news, DX12 hardware is starting to hit the shelves, and API is basically ready to go, and OGLNG isn't even defined yet. Way to stay behind the curve Khronos.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that. to put in my two cents: i mentioned that more strict conformance testes (available for everyone), a software reference and common parts like a shader compiler frond end would be nice and i hope this fix some of the problems that currently infested OpenGL and OpenGL ES.

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks the way Khronos defines it's APIs is horrible? Yeah, let's ask every company what they want and just kinda merge them together into a frankenstein-API. Oh, and let's not forget the extensions! You know, the things everybody needs and uses, but aren't _really_ part of the core API, thus don't have to be implemented (or implemented correctly) but y'know, whatever.

I understand that DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.4 are very similar when it comes to visuals and performance, but do a survey of people that use both languages and see how many prefer using OpenGL. Hint: it's probably less than 20%.

(P.S. I also understand that OpenGL is used for things other than gaming while DX is gaming-focused, but come on)

Comment

That explains what they've been doing the last 5 months I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
            So in other news, DX12 hardware is starting to hit the shelves, and API is basically ready to go, and OGLNG isn't even defined yet. Way to stay behind the curve Khronos.
            I'm sure that DX12 will be an amazing marketing achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
              They already released 4.5 to counter DX12. We still have not seen if DX12 is a rewrite or just extensions on DX11, and if that is the case it still has the semantic bloat and conflation that OGL is trying to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                I understand that DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.4 are very similar when it comes to visuals and performance, but do a survey of people that use both languages and see how many prefer using OpenGL. Hint: it's probably less than 20%.
                People prefer what they're familiar with. If you asked CAD developers you'd probably get less than 20% that prefer DX.

If you asked all software developers out there what language they used it'd probably be 90% JavaScript and 0.1% C. That doesn't change the fact that JS is an absolute complete unmitigated unstoppable unbelievable unadulterated unbelievable total trainwreck.

This hearkens back to the old days of the endless C# vs. Java debates, when the reality is people tended to prefer the language they were more familiar with.

IMO the CAD developers are doing far-far-far-far more with OGL than the game developers are doing with DX. Like... by a mile. So let us know when DX catches up. Let's at least start with BMDI, then go from there. That's only two generations old hardware, so about 3 years behind.

Comment

Utter Poppycock.

The survey is entirely questions about how I perceive OpenGL.
                  Two really brilliant ones:
                  1) how would I view it if the name of next gen OpenGL contains the word "open"?
                  2) how would I view it if the name of next gen OpenGL contains the word "GL"?

WTF is this? Khronos wants to know if I like the freaking name?

Comment

I guess nobody read the big highlighted message. The survey is about the name.

Comment

Working...
                    X