Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New System - how much power needed?

Hello all!

I'm planning to put myself a new system together which should consist of the following components:
    * CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400
    * MoBo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4 (P45)
    * RAM: 4096MB Corsair PC2-800 CL4 TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX
    * Graphics: ATi Radeon HD4870
    * HD: most probably a 3.5" Seagate ES.2 500GB with 32MB cache

My question is now, what kind of power supply do I need? Would 650W be enough?

Thanks in advance!

More than enough. Usally when you use stronger PSU than needed the system will always run just the PSU needs more energy for itself - that means when you choose the best match then the energy consumption is a bit lower, but in your case I don't think this aspect really matters *g*

Comment

this is really getting crazy. if things are really heading this way when i'll have to buy a new computer i will be really worried about my elektricity bills :/

Comment

You favorite GFX card consumes not so much power than the new Nvidia GTX 260/280 cards, but it is still not for energy savers

Comment

Vielen Dank Kano!

So, I take it that a 550W power supply would be enough as well? I'm aiming for a be-quiet Dark Power Pro btw..

Comment

I have almost that computer...my motherboard is an EP35-DS3R, same memory modules, same CPU, and two Seagate 320Gb SATA hard drives. The video card is a Gigabyte HD3870 of some sort.

I'm using a PC Power and Cooling 510w power supply, and it shows no sign of power-related distress (or any other problems, for that matter).

Any good quality power supply of 500w capacity should be ample for your system, and still leave room for future expansion.
            Last edited by rbmorse; 04 July 2008, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Janusz11 View Post
              Vielen Dank Kano!

So, I take it that a 550W power supply would be enough as well? I'm aiming for a be-quiet Dark Power Pro btw..

Don't use watts to determine if the power supply is adequate. Look at the amperage ratings on the various rails. I'll take 300 Watt namebrand powersupply over a fujikama 1200 Watt any day of the week.

Comment

Thanks alot!

Comment

Working...
                X