Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automated Unreal Engine 4 Benchmarks For Linux

Phoronix: Automated Unreal Engine 4 Benchmarks For Linux

In the past few days there's been some progress in benchmarking newer Steam Linux games thanks to support from Valve developers and separate from that was now support for automated benchmarking of Metro Redux (Metro Last Light Redux and Metro 2033 Redux). The Metro Redux test ability led to yesterday's 22-way AMD/NVIDIA GPU comparison for this OpenGL 4 Linux game. The latest excitement? Getting automated tests up and running for Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

great work!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
      great work!
      Agree on this one.
      PTS is getting ready for modern GPU benchmarks.

Comment

Congratilations for the latest benchmarks and this improvement

I liked a lot to read the latest benchmarks with most of the tests run at 1080p (1920x1080) more or less 2k

I suppose we will see soon this 1080p (more or less 2k) vs 4k benchmarks until low budget GPUs and 4k monitors would have decent fps, that i think it will be a long time for "computer evolving time"

Also some chromebooks tests with ubuntu from pendrive and CROUTON, with the new upgrade at Chrome OS, as this cheap Chrome OS machines are becoming each day more a kids and teen playground and perhaps if there are some flash gaming tests would be nice too (my nephews use to play friv.com games as they main source of computer enterteinment and their recent HP 15" Chormebook performs well enough) and some VT with GPU Passthorught tests vs bare metal

Benchmarking is evolving as OSs and VT do and you are at the bleeding edge o it, congratulations

Thanks for your work

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
          Agree on this one.
          PTS is getting ready for modern GPU benchmarks.
          It's really more like PTS is getting ready for a regressed-state of benchmarks... UT2004 worked better for benchmarking than the current UE4 state. Likewise, Quake 3 era games worked super well for automation and benchmarking. But those capabilities don't seem to be a focus for devs much as these days.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            It's really more like PTS is getting ready for a regressed-state of benchmarks... UT2004 worked better for benchmarking than the current UE4 state. Likewise, Quake 3 era games worked super well for automation and benchmarking. But those capabilities don't seem to be a focus for devs much as these days.
            hey
            would like to see some UT2004 benches on APUs, NUCs, Ultrabooks and other lower perfomance gpus. There, those old games (also openarena) still make sense to bench, right?

Comment

That's very nice. Perhaps eventually (when the Alpha is released?) you can have a UT4 benchmark too. (Right now it would work, as there is demo recording and whatnot, but no maps have any meshes yet and it requires you to press the EULA accept button before it shows anything.)

Also, the Effects Cave demo and the Sanctuary demo would also be useful. The former stresses particles and the latter was made for OpenGL ES.

As for those issues, I'm pretty sure Epic would be receptive to any patches that improve the benchmarking capabilities, so if anyone wants and can do it, feel free to send them a pull request.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                That's very nice. Perhaps eventually (when the Alpha is released?) you can have a UT4 benchmark too. (Right now it would work, as there is demo recording and whatnot, but no maps have any meshes yet and it requires you to press the EULA accept button before it shows anything.)

Also, the Effects Cave demo and the Sanctuary demo would also be useful. The former stresses particles and the latter was made for OpenGL ES.

As for those issues, I'm pretty sure Epic would be receptive to any patches that improve the benchmarking capabilities, so if anyone wants and can do it, feel free to send them a pull request.
                Working on communicating the needs/change requests back to the Epic developer who wrote the blog post last year about having PTS support. So will hopefully get improvements made.

Already seeing that due to the windowed mode with no adjustment support for resolution that some of these tests are getting CPU bottlenecked on the higher-end hardware.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

At this time the UE4 demos don't seem to support running with any command-line arguments for specifying windowed vs. full-screen testing, resolutions, or any visual setting adjustments.
                  There are command line arguments to switch resolution and fullscreen mode, try "-ResX=1920 -ResY=1200 -fullscreen"
                  You can also add -opengl4 to switch to OpenGL 4.3.

You can find more options here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...nts/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by .CME. View Post
                    There are command line arguments to switch resolution and fullscreen mode, try "-ResX=1920 -ResY=1200 -fullscreen"
                    You can also add -opengl4 to switch to OpenGL 4.3.

You can find more options here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...nts/index.html
                    Hmmm, thanks! Trying now! I didn't see any links or documentation from the demo Wiki page (or bundled with the demos) nor when passing --help, etc, to the binaries.

Looks like I'll need to restart my big GPU comparison again :/

EDIT: Got all the test profiles updated to use the resolution/fullscreen args. Thanks! Now to restart the GPU comparison.
                    Last edited by Michael; 14 January 2015, 12:06 PM.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X