X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mum1989 View Post
    If PhysX works on GNU/linux side
    Is PhysX off on our test ?
    As far as I know it does, BUT, it uses CPU as by default there is no GPU acceleration on Linux for PhysX. And even if there was, Probably game has to support it. Which I am not sure if ANY game supports it with GPU on Linux.

Comment

Thanks Michael.

These test show that Metro Redux games will work on graphics cards with less than 2GB of VRAM, despite being that the listed minimum requirements call for 2GB for the Linux version. However, it appears that my Radeon HD 5850 won't do any good until AMD fixes their proprietary driver and when they do I wager that it will only be with their GCN-class cards. Oh well maybe I can play at 640x480?

Comment

@Michael

Nice test, but you can skip one card next time: GTX 650=GT 740, just renamed one existing card. Even the clockspeed is identical, from the Nvidia website the GT 740 would use only 993 mhz instead of 1058 mhz however.

Comment

Next trick - run:
          Code:
          sudo update-pciids
          In case of unknown cards or add it yourself, if it does not help (to submit it later) in /usr/share/misc/pci.ids. Kanotix nightly images get the latest ids during iso build.

Comment

Performance-per-Watt for 750Ti looks amazing here.

But I refuse to run a non-free driver, so I'd love to see this working on the open-source drivers someday, then get benchmarks of those. And a pony.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              I like how there's always that one person that always complains. "Hey Michael, you're doing too well of a job. Stop it."
              I wonder about those people. It's like someone must say something negative. What's that, you did more than you should? RANT!
              Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
              I have noticed something like that long ago with Unreal 2004. Ubuntu trends to perform better on when cpu is bounding. Windows when GPU is bounding. Without SSAA, GPU limitations are not that severe.
              I think it's like what the guy said in the video. The SSAA implementation isn't very good on Linux. Side note, Linux needs a SMAA injection like Windows has with SweetFX.

Originally posted by dimko View Post
              I have opened another thread.

Look at your video min 4.30
              Even when frame rate is high, you can see a slide show.
              I have explained in my thread how to get rid of it.
              So you my Linux brethren can have better experience.
              Not my video. Just a subscriber to that channel spreading the word. I didn't notice a slide show at higher frame rates.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                As far as I know it does, BUT, it uses CPU as by default there is no GPU acceleration on Linux for PhysX. And even if there was, Probably game has to support it. Which I am not sure if ANY game supports it with GPU on Linux.
                There is an experimental driver for PhysX on linux in their Game Works SDK or whatever its called.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  Wow, Catalyst is really good for those non SI cards! ...
                  HD 6870 and HD 6950 are also non SI/non VI cards but NOT really good.

Comment

Working...
                  X