22-Way AMD+NVIDIA Graphics Card Tests With Metro Redux On Steam For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22-Way AMD+NVIDIA Graphics Card Tests With Metro Redux On Steam For Linux

Phoronix: 22-Way AMD+NVIDIA Graphics Card Tests With Metro Redux On Steam For Linux

A few days back I wrote about being able to finally get the Metro Redux game benchmarks running in an automated manner under Linux to the point that we're now able to test it with the Phoronix Test Suite. With Metro 2033 Redux and Metro Last Light Redux now running well for our testing purposes, I've carried out performance tests of these two games with twenty-two AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards on Linux. Besides looking at the normal FPS result there's also frame latency metrics, power consumption data for each of these graphics cards, performance-per-Watt metrics, and GPU thermal results. If you're wondering what graphics card works best for your needs for OpenGL 4.x Linux gaming, here's an interesting look with the Metro Redux titles that premiered on Steam for Linux back in December.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should do a comparison between Windows and Linux with Metro, specifically without SSAA. You'd be surprised of the results.

A short video checking out the released Metro Last Light Redux benchmark running on both Ubuntu and Windows, both natively!This has to be a good start to 201...

Comment

The other thing is you dont need 4 different Northern islands. 3 different Sothern Islands.... The highest end card from each generation would do just fine. (I understand then you wouldn't be able to tout a "22 card comparison", but the information gathered would still be exactly the same.)

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        The other thing is you dont need 4 different Northern islands. 3 different Sothern Islands.... The highest end card from each generation would do just fine. (I understand then you wouldn't be able to tout a "22 card comparison", but the information gathered would still be exactly the same.)
        It was just trying to be as large of a comparison as possible given it's the first time doing Metro Linux tests.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I certainly don't mind having more-than-possibly-necessary cards in the test. Good job

Does anyone know which OpenGL 4 features are required for this game? Some of them are already available in mesa, maybe we can have mesa (Intel/Nvidia) benchmarks soon when they finish one of the missing extensions? r600/radeonsi still need some more work for OpenGL 4.

Comment

It hurts my eyes, when I see a R9 290 beaten by a GTX 460.

Comment

I'm glad I didn't buy this game yet. I wonder if maybe the open source radeon drivers would perform better, though.

Comment

Yeah, catalyst is obviously doing something screwy. I can't wait for OSS support of OGL4. On the other hand it's great to see nVidia's proprietary driver performing well.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I like how there's always that one person that always complains. "Hey Michael, you're doing too well of a job. Stop it."

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    Should do a comparison between Windows and Linux with Metro, specifically without SSAA. You'd be surprised of the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab2UI1Iq2w
                    That's fucking incredible O_O
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X