C4 Engine Drops Linux Support, Calls It "Frankenstein OS"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
    From the beginning of this thread till the end, there has been nothing useful posted, but only hate comments. The guy has his reason, why don't you all try and do something about it?
    Eric Lengyel is free to join the discussion on Phoronix. He is clearly aware of this discussion because he mentions Phoronix on his forum thread. I'm sure someone here would be willing to try and help him with his Ubuntu woes.

It's in his right to discontinue Linux support but it doesn't seem fair to not at least allow his community of paying C4 customers who care about maintaining Linux support assist him to maintain official support or reaching out to distro developers who might put slightly higher priority support being that he is a developer and his news of dropping Linux support has become high-profile. Yes the project is proprietary but it appears to use a shared-source model, where the customer has access to the engine source code, they just cannot redistribute that code except maybe back to Eric himself.

Comment

This men is dead

Comment

This is usefull

If you have trouble with libraries, ship them with your product. In the end developers know they can't handle linux, btw Quake3d code is public. Snippets, for the world.

Comment

First I've heard of this guy....

I find it really strange that a guy with a Ph.D. in computer science and a masters in mathematics would really have had the problems he said he had with apt-get, Ubuntu and Linux. I don't know about anyone else but to me this really reflects poorly on the computer science department at the University of California.

Comment

nobody heard about c4 engine until it dropped linux support

Comment

Originally posted by MrRtd View Post
              I find it really strange that a guy with a Ph.D. in computer science and a masters in mathematics would really have had the problems he said he had with apt-get, Ubuntu and Linux. I don't know about anyone else but to me this really reflects poorly on the computer science department at the University of California.
              contrary to what Eric believes, just because he is an accomplished game dev with a phd doesn't make him an expert in system administration and tech support. i've long since lost count of how many (mostly) intelligent devs and academics i've met, including game and compiler devs, who were just completely incompetent in this area, and just like Eric many were oblivious of their level of "expertise". however this really shouldn't come as a surprise, what's the famous quote? "computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes" or something to that effect.

this reminds me of something Linus once said in a Q&A session when asked about his past experience in trying to, and ultimately failing at, installing and setting up debian:

"To me a distribution is ... not very interesting, I want it to be easy to install so I can just get on with my life, which is mostly the kernel ... One of the problems I have is, I am not an MIS person. I may do kernels and people think that that means that I'm technical, but when it comes to actually maintaining machines I am a complete disaster." - Linus Torvalds

be a man Eric, just admit you're not as smart as you think you are in this one area of computers.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Where's reliable software mixing of input and output? Where? Why even in 2015 I've got a situation when applications block all other applications from using my sound card?
                In case you didn't notice, we have had PulseAudio 1.0 since 2011. It was introduced precisely to fix the problems you mentioned. Of course one application blocks the others while using the sound card, because it is a shared resource, just like your hard disk or your serial ports. The job of multiplexing access to it is best done by a userspace daemon for many objective reasons that I won't repeat here, just read any PulseAudio FAQ.

The problem with PulseAudio was that it was advertised as a fully backward compatible solution when in reality it was "almost" compatible. New applications (as in, post-2011, that's 4 years already) do not see that problem. It also was computationally heavy but that has been fixed too, I used PulseAudio on a Pentium 4 until a couple of months ago.

Windows has this problem solved in 1999.
                In fact, it has a userspace audio engine too.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: C4 Engine Drops Linux Support, Calls It "Frankenstein OS"

Version 4.2 of the cross-platform C4 Game Engine was released today. The big change of C4 Engine 4.2 is that it gets rid of Linux support after its lead developer has had a very unhappy and difficult experience with Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ne-Drops-Linux

One single question.
                  How much money did he get paid to babble that crap?
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

He made Quest for Glory V. And Quest for Glory V is awesome. So he is better than all of you and accomplished more in life than all of you ever will.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                      He made Quest for Glory V. And Quest for Glory V is awesome. So he is better than all of you and accomplished more in life than all of you ever will.
                      No shit. This is Phoronix. Mostly clueless idiots. So many butthurt Linux idiots.

Comment

Working...
                      X