Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD HD48X0 video and overall 2D performance

Hello everyone.

I have already searched through the forum to answer my questions by myself, unfortunately all I found was rather inconclusive, so I hope nobody minds me opening a new thread about the following: -g-

1) Does the HD48X0 series also show bad or occasional video tearing like I have read about in reference to the "older" cards?

2) Is the 2D performance normal or as bad as with the current nvidia cards?

Background is the following: I currently own a 8600 GTS card and I am really not satisfied with it. Like most people, I am having issues with 2D performance which haven't been solved for several month and I really doubt they will be solved eventually. :-( I am not a gamer, even though I tend to play ET:QW from time to time but that's where the nvidia card really shines but that's not my main task, so... :-)

I really would appreciate any hints. If the HD48x0 also shows video tearing (which is a definite driver bug), that's an absolute no go for me because there is almost nothing more annoying when watching a DVD or TV.

Thanks in advance!

Have a nice day,
    matthew.

Well, I can't vouch for ATI, but if you want good 2D/video playback, get a 6 or 7 series nvidia. 7600GTs are pretty good.

Comment

I think there will not that much of a difference when compared to the HD 3000 series. 2D performance should be fine, while video tearing is a driver problem and may be fixed this month. I'll get the card by the end of the month, but as far as I know, some people in here already have them, so you'll only have to wait for the Catalyst 8.7 user tests.

@Moustacha: nVidia 6000/7000 series have bad 3D performance in comparison.

Comment

2d performance right now on the current fglrx drivers is actually better than the current nVidia drivers. Well, at least the 2d performance isn't exactly the best on Geforce 8 and 9 cards right now on the nVidia drivers, on 6 and 7 series its fine. But I wouldn't buy a 7600 GT if you want bleeding edge graphical power. If you haven't bought a 4850 or 4870 yet, I would do what d2kx is doing and buy one at the end of the month after the new drivers have come out and check out the feedback.

But if you happen to just want to get something that works and doesn't have really any problems period and don't care too much about performance (you'll still get pretty good performance at resolutions like 1024x768 and 1280x1024 in ETQW), then yeah, the 7600 GT is a good option. Its dirt cheap too. But of course the 4850 would be ALOT faster in that game, so I mean, its up to you. Heres some results:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nhd_4850&num=6 - Radeon HD 4850 ET:QW @ 1920x1200

http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...259-18529-5219 - 7600 GT ET:QW @ 1024x768

The 7600 GT will give you a solid experience overall as far as watching videos and stuff at this current time, but considering the future, the 4850 will probably be the better card in the end when it comes to driver improvements. One last thing, the 7600 GT will probably run at about 45 degrees C idle, 4850's are known to run at around 75-80ish on idle. This is very likely due to powerplay not working in the fglrx driver at this current time. So thats another thing to keep in mind. Hope I was helpful.
        Last edited by Malikith; 03 July 2008, 07:33 AM.

Comment

there is bad tearing in video for hd4850
          it's unwatchable, I have my old 6600Gt in the second pci express slot

Comment

i would say, that if you purchase these amd cards now, you should be FULLY prepared for it _NEVER_ being able to work properly with fglrx.

people have been saying the "oh ill just buy now, in a few months, the drivers will be stable and all!", and i dont know of a SINGLE case where they havent gotten totally owned for being so naive.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
              i would say, that if you purchase these amd cards now, you should be FULLY prepared for it _NEVER_ being able to work properly with fglrx.

people have been saying the "oh ill just buy now, in a few months, the drivers will be stable and all!", and i dont know of a SINGLE case where they havent gotten totally owned for being so naive.
              As shared last month, the Linux driver is reaching a feature parity with its Windows sibling. With due time, improved video playback will come.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                As shared last month, the Linux driver is reaching a feature parity with its Windows sibling. With due time, improved video playback will come.
                well actually it's more "supported" video playback rather than "improved" video playback that we would need.
                because movies are unwatchable
                Last edited by mirak63; 07 July 2008, 10:49 AM.

Comment

The RadeonHD atombios_support-branch now has Radeon HD 4800 series support, too...

Comment

how do you use it on ubuntu ?

Comment

Working...
                    X