Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VLC Gains A BPG Decoder, But Will This Image Format Ever Take Off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It won't take off, it's a patent trap. If anything, Daala based image format is something good to anticipate.

Comment

Fwiw beware if loading images with css that it will become impossible to determine through js whether page is fully loaded

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        I'm still waiting for a raster image format that's lossless like png but can easily be animated like GIF. If this is going to be it, I like it. I wonder why the guy didn't roll with VP9 though... I mean sure, I prefer HEVC over VP9 for my video files for various reasons, but at least we wouldn't have these licensing issues.

And unseating JPEG is something I would find very welcome, no matter who does it! I hate that format.
        APNG was mentioned, and MNG also fills that niche. Both are usable in your own applications right now.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          It won't take off, it's a patent trap. If anything, Daala based image format is something good to anticipate.
          Well fuck, because of software patents in the US, we can't have this in europe. Srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            The reason it won't take off is because it requires javascript decoding in the browser. Who's going to want to deal with that? It might work fine for 1 image, but you aren't going to want a whole page of them being decoded that way.

Comment

Indeed, the JS decoding is extremely slow without JIT (on the order of five seconds per image, tested on the BPG test image page).

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                Well fuck, because of software patents in the US, we can't have this in europe. Srsly.
                I think there is discussion if software patents may be applicable in certain European countries as well, sadly

Comment

I've been playing around with bpg on my "seen anime" list:

That page weighs in at about 10mb, with all 353 images being BPG and embedded using base64 inside the html.
                  It kills mobile browsers, but both firefox and chrome seem to handle it fine (although the whole page takes a few seconds to load).
                  Note that most images are higher resolution than they are shown in the page, they are being resized by the browser.

BPG really is a very interesting format quality-wise. And for the web, where you can ship the decoder with the images, it does kind of work.

Comment

Maybe I can convert all thumbnails to BPG in http://anime-pictures.net . Now I have (gif/jpeg/png) and WebP version. But first need add hack patch to chromium for native support BPG.

Comment

First improve jpg

Have you guys seen what Mozilla has done with improving jpg? All those reasons why we hate jpg: banding in gradients, text becomes extremely ugly, blocky artifacts and those weird shapes around sharp parts of the image have almost disappeared in their version of jpg.
                      Why not perfect jpg first and then try to make something like Opus but for images: no patent shit, best in class in every situation(compressed,lossless,animated,transparenc y). There is so much support for jpg and some cpus and gpus are starting to integrate hardware decoding of jpg.

Comment

Working...
                      X