Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Player 10 Beta Adds Linux Features

Phoronix: Flash Player 10 Beta Adds Linux Features

Last month the first beta for Adobe Flash Player 10 was released for not only Windows but also Mac OS X and Linux at the same time. This beta release added new 3D effects, advanced text layout, an enhanced drawing API, and visual performance improvements, to just name a few of the many changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On the one side, it is great to see that Adobe is serious about Linux, on the other side... it's still closed source software and to be honest I only need Flash for YouTube/Google Video, which hopefully will be using some other solution in the long-term (HTML5 video function). swfdec-mozilla already mostly works for me.... I wish Stage6.com was still online.

Comment

No 64 bit.. A few years ago.. ok, I could play along, but in an age where having 4 gb of ram is nothing out of the ordinary, I think their commitment to linux is not that great. Frankly, I'm dissapointed - yes, I'm running a 64 bit linux distro.

Comment

4 gb of ram is nothing out of the ordinary
        it's totally out of ordinary around here ;-)

Comment

Works much better now that the first beta. Fullscreen video is smooth now.

Comment

Originally posted by VisezTrance View Post
            No 64 bit.. A few years ago.. ok, I could play along, but in an age where having 4 gb of ram is nothing out of the ordinary, I think their commitment to linux is not that great. Frankly, I'm dissapointed - yes, I'm running a 64 bit linux distro.
            Honestly now I couldn't care less about them releasing flash for 64bit; gnash is coming a long nicely, although the recent build appears to have broken youtube play back. I tend to ignore sites that just have a flash version though so the lack of flash doesn't bother me as it might for others.

Comment

Have they implemented the "don't sometimes hang Firefox when I close a tab/window containing Flash" feature yet, or has that been pushed back to Flash Player 11?

Comment

Does anyone know if it works with compiz enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by M1AU View Post
                  Does anyone know if it works with compiz enabled?
                  From the known issues:

• For Linux, the hardware acceleration feature will not work if you are using a compositing window manager (compiz). In this case, Flash Player 10 Beta will always fall back to software. If you would like to test Flash Player 10 Beta on Linux, please disable your compositing window manager.

Comment

Originally posted by VisezTrance View Post
                    Use nspluginwrapper, it works for all NPAPI plugins

Comment

Working...
                    X