No announcement yet.

Flash Player 10 Beta Adds Linux Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu, Debian show that 64bit is 10-15% of the users only... so it's not that popular as you make it out to be.

(but yeah, I'm on 64bit myself)

Comment

Linux WMODE — Flash Player for Linux now supports windowless mode (transparent and opaque). Windowless mode means proper blending between SWFs and the HTML above and below the SWF content.. Windowless mode on Linux requires the latest Firefox 3 to work.

Fixed, uhhuh ya right.

Comment

Is there the standalone player or only plugin?

Comment

Same cr*p as beta1 :/ Can't even go to my beloved diablo3 webpage, crashes whole FF3 ;x although I hope they'll fix it soon, cause FP9 on linux take much more CPU than on windows

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            Ubuntu, Debian show that 64bit is 10-15% of the users only... so it's not that popular as you make it out to be.
            Partly because of crap like Flash. That, win32 codecs, wine, etc keep people on 32 bit so stuff works. They are holding back the migration.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post

(but yeah, I'm on 64bit myself)
              On debian that may be the case, (not surprising since they were the last to release a 64-bit release, finally debuting in 2007/04/08 vs suses 2003/04/07 ), but on other distro's that number is higher. openSUSE 11 for example on just straight ftp download was:

Let me share some numbers for the openSUSE 11.0 release. Do you remember the 10.3 release? Again we used akamai for distribution of the images. Again for 30 ...

62% openSUSE-11.0-DVD-i386.iso
              28% openSUSE-11.0-DVD-x86_64.iso
              3,7% openSUSE-11.0-KDE4-LiveCD-i386.iso
              2,0% openSUSE-11.0-GNOME-LiveCD-i386.iso
              1,2% openSUSE-11.0-KDE4-LiveCD-x86_64.iso
              1,1% openSUSE-11.0-Addon-Lang-i386.iso
              below 1%:
              openSUSE-11.0-DVD-ppc.iso
              openSUSE-11.0-GNOME-LiveCD-x86_64.iso
              openSUSE-11.0-Addon-Lang-x86_64.iso
              openSUSE-11.0-Addon-Lang-ppc.iso

and that is not including the torrents which was at a 60/40 split.
              Last edited by deanjo; 03 July 2008, 07:39 AM.

Comment

There is no 64-bit Flash for Windows either. I guess Adobe is going to support that before thinking about a 64-bit Linux version.

@deanjo
                Are you running Flash with nspluginwrapper? wmode doesn't work together with it and it's still quite unstable. Anyway, this is a beta! The progress is nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
                  There is no 64-bit Flash for Windows either. I guess Adobe is going to support that before thinking about a 64-bit Linux version.
                  Actually, it would make sense to make the Linux version first. 99% of apps on 64-bit Windows are still 32-bit. If you insisted on using only 64-bit apps in 64-bit Windows, at this point you'd be extremely limited. OTOH, people running 64-bit Linux run 99% 64-bit apps, with only very limited 32-bit-only holdouts (Flash being nearly alone in fact). 64-bit Flash would probably get more exposure on Linux at this point, even with its tiny marketshare. Just try to get 64-bit Firefox for Windows. (64-bit IE7 is actually easier to obtain now, sadly.)

Comment

64 bit java + flash does not exist as plugins - for win 64 bit therefore you have to install the 32 bit plugins - there IS a 64 bit IE but no plugins for it

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post

@deanjo
                      Are you running Flash with nspluginwrapper? wmode doesn't work together with it and it's still quite unstable. Anyway, this is a beta! The progress is nice though.

wmode with nspluginwrapper works fine in opera 64-bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X