Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Tutorial] Install ETQW (Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars) on Fedora Linux

Hello,

You will find here a translation of a tutorial I have done years ago on the french Fedora wiki page. I keep it up to date as far as I can.

Why a tutorial ? Because the game if not really simple to install on modern distro without tips and tricks. It's clearly not as simple as clicking on the "Install" button in Steam.

This is Fedora oriented but of course you can adapt it for any distro.
    I hope it will help someone.

== Introduction ==
    ETQW is multi-players FPS, thought you can play it alone with Artificial Intelligence (bots). It was released in October 2007. Like Doom 3 and Quake 4, it's not a open-source game, you have to buy it. A native binary is available for Linux.

== Installation ==
    === Hardware/software requirements ===
    A suitable configuration should look like this :

* Kernel >= 2.6.18
    * Pentium 4 3,2 GHz (or equivalent)
    * 1024 MB RAM
    * GeForce 6/Radeon X800 series with 512 MB VRAM
    * roughly 5 GB of free space on the hard drive

You need the genuine DVD game.
    Once the game installed, you don't need to put the DVD in the DVD drive in order to play.
    The graphical acceleration must be operational.

If you use the Mesa drivers, you have to install the library that handles the S3TC textures (the 32-bit version). The package is provided in the RPM Fusion repositories :
    Code:
    # yum install libtxc_dxtn.i686
    === Download ===
    The installation binary isn't provided on the genuine DVD, you have to download it.

idSoftware doesn't provide anymore the "official" BitTorrent link.

jeuxlinux.fr provides the binary in direct download : http://ftp.jeuxlinux.fr/files/ETQW-c...5-full.x86.run
    You can also try here : http://www.splashdamage.com/node/227

Binary size : 530 MiB
    MD5 checksum : 28fd825fcd9f6227827230b319e481cf

=== Notes for 64-bit systems ===
    Given that the game is 32-bit, you have to install some 32-bit packages on your 64-bit systems :
    * the SDL library and some basic packages :
    Code:
    # yum install SDL.i686 glibc.i686 zlib.i686 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 pulseaudio-libs.i686 ncurses-libs.i686
    * the graphical library corresponding to your graphical card. If you use the free driver (Mesa) :
    Code:
    # yum install mesa-libGL.i686 mesa-libGLU.i686 mesa-dri-drivers.i686
    === Installation ===
    * Put the DVD in the DVD drive

The following commands have to be performed as root.
    * Go in the folder where you have downloaded the binary :
    Code:
    # cd <path_where_is_the_executable>
    * Set the file as executable (if not already) :
    Code:
    # chmod a+x ./ETQW-client-1.5-full.x86.run
    * Execute the file to launch the installation :
    Code:
    # ./ETQW-client-1.5-full.x86.run
    Then follow the installation instructions...

=== Create the shortcuts ===
    The installator doesn't automatically create a shortcut to launch ETQW.
    You can create one manually with your desktop manager.
    You must link it to /usr/local/games/etqw/etqw

A game icon is available here : /usr/local/games/etqw/etqw_icon.png

=== Replace some game's libs by Fedora's one ===
    At least since Fedora 19, you will not able to start the game due to incompatibility between the static game's libs (notably libjpeg, libSDL 1.2 and libstdc++) and some Fedora's libs (at least with Mesa). So we will tell ETQW to uses the Fedora's libs instead of its own.

Firstly, we will backup the game's libs :

Code:
    # cd /usr/local/games/etqw/
    # mv libjpeg.so.62 libjpeg.so.62.original
    # mv libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6.original
    # mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.original
    # mv libSDL-1.2.id.so.0 libSDL-1.2.id.so.0.original
    Then, we will link the game's libs to the system's libs :

Code:
    # ln -s /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 libSDL-1.2.id.so.0
    # ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6
    # ln -s /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 libjpeg.so.62
    # ln -s /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1
    === Start the game a first time ===
    In order to test the installation, your shortcut and moreover create the configuration files, you should launch the game for a first time :
    Code:
    $ /usr/local/games/etqw/etqw
    Connect to your game account or create a new one.
    Once done, leave the game.

=== Set the game in another language (french for the example) ===
    * Copy the translation files in the game's configuration directory (replace <user> by your ETQW account username) :
    Code:
    $ cp /run/media/<user>/ETQWDVD/Setup/Data/base/FRA/zpak_french000.pk4 ~/.etqwcl/base/
    $ cp /usr/local/games/etqw/base/zpak_french001.pk4 ~/.etqwcl/base/
    $ cp /usr/local/games/etqw/base/zpak_french002.pk4 ~/.etqwcl/base/
    $ cp /usr/local/games/etqw/base/zpak_french003.pk4 ~/.etqwcl/base/
    One of these files is on the DVD, the 3 others are already in the game folder but you still need to copy them in the configuration folder.

* Reset the good access rights on the .pk4 files :
    Code:
    $ chmod 644 ~/.etqwcl/base/*.pk4
    * In the ~/.etqwcl/sdnet/<user>/base/ folder, create a file autoexec.cfg (if it doesn't already exist).
    Of course, replace <user> by your ETQW account username.

* Append the following line to this file : seta sys_lang "french"

=== Disable a graphical game bug ===
    There is a bug in the game which could draw some graphical glitchs time to time. This will prevent you from playing during this time. To avoid this, you just need to modify a config parameter of the game.

Add the following line in the autoexec.cfg file :
    seta r_useIndexBuffers "1"

Ref : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bu...tiple&id=38452

=== Detect the correct VRAM amount ===
    In many case, the game can't detect the appropriate VRAM amount. To verify that, just check the game logs when launching the game in a terminal. In this case, it considers only 128 MB VRAM which could potentially hit the performance.
    So it's possible to manually set the available VRAM amount. You must add a parameter in the autoexec.cfg file. For instance, if your card has 1 GB VRAM, you must add this line :
    seta sys_videoRam 1024

=== Tips ===
    * To display the FPS (in a game embedded HUD), add the following line in the autoexec.cfg file : seta com_showFPS "1"
    * If the tutorial voices are enabled each time you start the game, you can definitively disable them when adding the following line : seta g_playTooltipSound "0"
    * You can screenshot the game striking F11. Screenshots are automatically saved in TGA file format. To convert them "correctly" in PNG or JPEG (I mean, without transparency error), you can do it with ImageMagick, for instance :
    Code:
    $ convert -alpha off shot00001.tga shot00001.png
    === Troubleshooting ===
    * If you have no sound, add the following line in the autoexec.cfg file : seta s_alsa_pcm "plughw:0"
    "0" stands for the sound card index. You can know this index with this command :
    Code:
    $ aplay -l
    * If game doesn't launch, with error "FATAL ERROR: Image '_default' was generated with internal format 0x83f0 but GL returned 0x0", that can maybe due to the 32-bit libraries not detected on 64-bit system. In this case, you can explicitly tell the game where to find the 32-bit libraries. For instance for the Mesa driver, game can be launched like this :
    Code:
    $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib" LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH="/usr/lib/dri" /usr/local/games/etqw/etqw
    === Problem with PunkBuster ===
    PunkBuster doesn't support anymore ETQW and then you will be kicked from the game servers in few minutes.
    To fix this, create the file ~/.etqwcl/pb/pbcl.cfg and copy this inside :
    Code:
    pb_MsgPrefix "^5PunkBuster Client"
    pb_Sleep 500
    pb_LogToFile 1
    pb_SsLog 1
    pb_SsSave 1
    PB_LogMD5Tool 1
    pb_Security 0 // allow pb-update downloads from ANY (game-)server
    == Configuration file ==
    The game configuration is located in the file ~/.etqwcl/base/etqwconfig.cfg

You should not edit this file. To add customization, modify the file ~/.etqwcl/sdnet/<user>/base/autoexec.cfg

If you want to reset the configuration to default, just delete the file ~/.etqwcl/base/etqwconfig.cfg. The file will be regenerated automatically with default values at the next game launch.

== Uninstallation ==
    To uninstall the game, just delete the game's files :
    * /usr/local/games/etqw/
    * ~/.etqwcl/
    * Your shortchut(s)

Might be good to mention the wchar bug (unless they fixed it in that version)? Where on modern libc the first character of strings ingame might be missing.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Might be good to mention the wchar bug (unless they fixed it in that version)? Where on modern libc the first character of strings ingame might be missing.
      I cannot edit my post anymore, but you're right. The problem occurs since glibc 2.15. It looks like it's an issue in the game though. More information here : https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28093

So unfortunately, no fix for this

Comment

Working...
      X