Metro Redux for Linux Performance improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro Redux for Linux Performance improvements

Hey guys, I'm just guessing but I think lot of people here had a go on the new Metro Redux series for Linux.
    Triple A game, with top of the line graphics and amazing storytelling.

First my system specs:
    Code:
    Debian Jessie 3.16 kernel / KDE 4.14
    AMD FX-6300 (6-core 3.5GHz), 8GBRAM
    Radeon R7 260X with Catalyst 14.6
    Pretty standard to high-end system, runs most things smoothly.
    However with Metro 2033 Redux, performance was pretty bad with lot of stutters. Even though my card should be more than capable of handling the game on medium settings, I could just get on with it on low settings, still stutters and low fps.

There are some several ways to try and improve performance, settings in game are too simplified and forced us to check on user config files, located on:
    Code:
    %SteamLibrary%/%Metro Folder%/%User ID%/user.cfg
    Here is an example of the file with lines I find important:
    Code:
    r_af_level 0          ->  Anisotropic filtering
    r_base_fov 51.0              ->  Field of view
    r_blur_level 1                 ->  Either blur or not
    r_dx11_tess 0                 ->  tesselation, i think its disabled on linux
    r_enum_ssaa 10              ->  don't know and could prove key
    r_fullscreen on                ->  you should know this
    r_gamma 0.5
    r_gi_volume 1.
    r_quality_level 1              ->  Overall quality from 0 to 3
    r_res_hor 2560                ->  resolution
    r_res_vert 1600               ->  but apparently I can't change it
    r_ssaa_auto 0.5               ->  ssaa from 0.5x to 4x
    r_sun_cop_initial_offs 1000.    ->  no idea
    r_sun_ortho_initial_offs 750.
    r_supersample 1.                   ->  no idea
    r_vsync on                         ->  vertical sync, which weirdly improves performance
    Anyway, I've already finished the 2033 game, though the game is great I was sad to had to play on minimum settings and still get stutters.
    Now I'm beginning the Last Light game and it seems quite the same deal even though lot of people reported it has better performance overall.
    For example, I just got around to playing the Witcher 2, and it runs quite smoothly while also being a pretty demanding game.

There is also a benchmark.sh script in game's folder, which runs a pretty heavy scene, and for everything I've always get super low framerates +- 15.

Anyway, please do share your experience if you also play Metro Redux, and how could you improve.
    Or if its just failed and we will just have to wait from a update from the devs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah I've read that thread some time ago, benchmarking could sure show up some results....

Comment

Could anyone with Metro do a quick test if libframetime works with it now?

Contribute to clbr/libframetime development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
        X