Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texture Compression Enabled For Nouveau NV50 Gallium3D

Phoronix: Texture Compression Enabled For Nouveau NV50 Gallium3D

A batch of Nouveau commits have landed in mainline Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just in case anyone forgot, NV50 refers to Geforce 8000 - G(T)300 series: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Just in case anyone forgot, NV50 refers to Geforce 8000 - G(T)300 series: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/
      Yeah. Anyone still using this?
      I mean my laptop is basically on life support until the Dragonbox Pyra comes out, and the GPU (which was already somewhat old when I bought it) in that thing is a NVC0 ...

Comment

So now it can officially run 20-year-old games? Nice.

Comment

Still waiting for Nvidia to hurry up and distribute the firmware blobs for Maxwell and future cards so that we can use Nouveau on them...

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
            Yeah. Anyone still using this?.
            I still have an 8400GS. I run the nvidia driver on my main install because the nouveau segfaults with the odd wine game I use. If it didn't have that shortcoming, I would use nouveau full-time.

EDIT: Hmm, I wonder if this would fix the wine issue I have.

Comment

I mean my laptop is basically on life support until the Dragonbox Pyra comes out, and the GPU (which was already somewhat old when I bought it) in that thing is a NVC0 ...
              I'm still using it. With how much things have improved, my next one will definately be an AMD card though.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                nouveau segfaults with the odd wine game
                If you don't file bugs, it'll never get fixed. Happy to look at the issue if you file a bug at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/

Comment

My laptop has a GeForce 9400M and is triple-booting MacOS, Windows 7, and Ubuntu 14.10. I used to run nouveau on that machine until I made an attempt to get OpenCL running on it again (NVidia's CL driver has been busted for linux for a while for me, and still is).

For light gaming (Civ5 + Eve Online is the most I ask of it) and desktop use, that chip is fast enough.

That being said, the next laptop will probably have one of whatever the next AMD APU line ends up being (Carrizo, I think).

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    So now it can officially run 20-year-old games? Nice.
                    It could always run these. For what it's worth, 20 year-old games almost always used software rendering.

Some people are poor and can't get newer hardware. We should aim to support all hardware, not just new ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X