More Patches Published For AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RadeonSI/Mesa really needs to improve

Hopefully in 2015, the open source radeon driver with mesa sees some improvements.
    I mean, I really like every new patch coming for radeonsi but atm. I run Catalyst for my Radeon 270x. Unfortunately I have too many problems with many different games (e.g. Oil Rush white screen, XCom constant game freeze, or complete freeze with gnome-shell on dota). The only game that are working really well are Civ5 and Valve's source games, but for me that is not enough.
    I would really like to help the radeonsi / mesa devs with testing stuff but bisecting is too much for me. Looking at all the open reported bugs regarding my named issues it seems that Catalyst is the best solution. Maybe all gets better when the amdgpu driver hits the surface...

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
      Hopefully in 2015, the open source radeon driver with mesa sees some improvements.
      I mean, I really like every new patch coming for radeonsi but atm. I run Catalyst for my Radeon 270x. Unfortunately I have too many problems with many different games (e.g. Oil Rush white screen, XCom constant game freeze, or complete freeze with gnome-shell on dota). The only game that are working really well are Civ5 and Valve's source games, but for me that is not enough.
      I would really like to help the radeonsi / mesa devs with testing stuff but bisecting is too much for me. Looking at all the open reported bugs regarding my named issues it seems that Catalyst is the best solution. Maybe all gets better when the amdgpu driver hits the surface...
      I hope some of the SI-related hangs will be fixed by my new patch series that improves cache flushes.

Comment

Cool something to test again for me

@Michael

Time for new article

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          I hope some of the SI-related hangs will be fixed by my new patch series that improves cache flushes.
          Could it fix the workaround in ae4536b4f71cbe76230ea7edc7eb4d6041e651b4 (radeonsi: Disable asynchronous DMA except for PIPE_BUFFER)?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Cool something to test again for me
            Well perf goes up with those flushes 1-5% thoroughly... together with Tom's perf-Dec31-2014 llvm branch, we are now at 95% of fglrx perf in Unigine benchmarks and in Oil Rush most probably

He, he, only if rendering is not broken in perf-Dec31-2014 Might be Marek know what broke rendering there?

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
              This sounds like Gentoo. I've seen a few things about going full-multilib instead of using the emul-libs, but don't know how ready it really is for prime-time. I have one game in particular that won't run with the emul-libs on my Kaveri for this same reason, so I only play it on a different (and slower) computer. Going full multilib might fix that.

Can you give some pointers, and more important - experience?
              Ok, other people already gave some pointers... Experience is way better than with the old emul packages as you always have the newest version of mesa (or any other package).

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
                Ok, other people already gave some pointers... Experience is way better than with the old emul packages as you always have the newest version of mesa (or any other package).
                I've gone a bit further down this road, and may have hit a dead end. The version of qtsql I would have to emerge in order to get multilib requires a version of mysql that is too intrusive to the rest of my installation, and USE="-mysql sqlite" is not acceptable either. I've seen that perhaps I can make most of the install multilib, keep the qt stuff 64-bit only, and install the emulation libs for qt-only. I haven't had a chance to try this yet.

Comment

I don't think so. Async DMA is completely separate from graphics and anything I have been doing.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Well perf goes up with those flushes 1-5% thoroughly... together with Tom's perf-Dec31-2014 llvm branch, we are now at 95% of fglrx perf in Unigine benchmarks and in Oil Rush most probably

He, he, only if rendering is not broken in perf-Dec31-2014 Might be Marek know what broke rendering there?

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...554#post461554
                    I don't see this on my Cape Verde, but I'm only using LLVM master.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                      I don't see this on my Cape Verde, but I'm only using LLVM master.
                      Of course you will need Tom's perf-Dec31-2014 llvm branch.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X