Intel Haswell Linux OpenGL Driver Catching Up To The Windows Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Haswell Linux OpenGL Driver Catching Up To The Windows Driver

Phoronix: Intel Haswell Linux OpenGL Driver Catching Up To The Windows Driver

Past Intel Windows vs. Linux graphics driver benchmarks have shown that for Haswell the OpenGL performance on Linux generally comes up short of the proprietary Windows driver. Fortunately, the Intel open-source Linux driver improved a lot this year and is now more competitive to the Windows driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wasn't it Valve that contributed performance improvements to Intel drivers? Thanks Intel.

Comment

Seems busted to me..

Some games have missing objects (primitives), but i am using mesa-10.5 and 3.19-rcX

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Wasn't it Valve that contributed performance improvements to Intel drivers? Thanks Intel.
        Nope. While Valve is awesome, most of the Intel driver performance improvements this year came from your usual Intel Mesa developers.

Running the following command in a Mesa git tree can give you an idea (while not perfect, it's still pretty decent):
        "git shortlog -i --since 2014-01-01 --grep performance --grep speed --grep 'affected programs' src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965 src/glsl src/mesa/main"

Matt Turner, Kenneth Graunke, and Eric Anholt had the most patches, with more contributions from Jason Ekstrand, Kristian H?gsberg, Iago Toral Quiroga, Jordan Justen, Ben Widawsky, Ian Romanick, and Chris Forbes.

Connor Abbott also did a pile of crucial performance work (NIR), but it hasn't landed yet. Early 2015.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
          Some games have missing objects (primitives), but i am using mesa-10.5 and 3.19-rcX
          What game? Unvanquished is broken currently - there's a patch on the mailing list, but it hasn't received any review yet. Likely due to the holidays.

Comment

Windows 7 Pro x64 with all available updates was used over Windows 8.1 this time as on the particular test system used, the clean install of Windows 8 kept resulting in BSODs within a few minutes of booting, even after carrying out a second clean install on the system. Windows 7 meanwhile worked without any issues on this particular system.
            I yesterday tried to install 8.1 on friend laptop, plenty of BSODs there... i think that was SNB pentium b950 with intel hd graphics, but i was lucky after second try... in the end i tried unigine demos, both DX9/11 work somehow albeit slow as it is, but OpenGL render is broken in all of them, on Valley can't even start, etc.

Can't say maybe it is only some 8.1 issue, i don't use windows daily to know
            Last edited by dungeon; 31 December 2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Game broken

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
              What game? Unvanquished is broken currently - there's a patch on the mailing list, but it hasn't received any review yet. Likely due to the holidays.
              Game is Second Life, primitives missing, GLSL failures, how to debug HSW DRI driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                Nope. While Valve is awesome, most of the Intel driver performance improvements this year came from your usual Intel Mesa developers.

Running the following command in a Mesa git tree can give you an idea (while not perfect, it's still pretty decent):
                "git shortlog -i --since 2014-01-01 --grep performance --grep speed --grep 'affected programs' src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965 src/glsl src/mesa/main"

Matt Turner, Kenneth Graunke, and Eric Anholt had the most patches, with more contributions from Jason Ekstrand, Kristian H?gsberg, Iago Toral Quiroga, Jordan Justen, Ben Widawsky, Ian Romanick, and Chris Forbes.

Connor Abbott also did a pile of crucial performance work (NIR), but it hasn't landed yet. Early 2015.
                Congratulations on the amazing progress! You guys rock. I would not be surprised that by the end of next year we will have OpenGL 4.5 support and performance equal to if not better than Windows.

Comment

@Kayden

Last time I asked when that super speed improvement kernel patch will be mainline no correct answer was made and something about vaapi was mentioned that would not work correctly. So when can we expect that mainline?

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
                    Game is Second Life, primitives missing, GLSL failures, how to debug HSW DRI driver?
                    Ah. I think I remember hearing that Second Life has broken shaders. You might try doing export allow_glsl_extension_directive_midshader=true before running Second Life.

Comment

Working...
                    X