Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Haswell HD Graphics End Of 2013 vs. 2014 Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Haswell HD Graphics End Of 2013 vs. 2014 Benchmarks

Following on from yesterday's Phoronix testing that provided an extensive look at AMD's incredible open-source driver advancements over 2014 by benchmarking the open-source graphics stack from the end of 2013 compared to the end of this year, out now is similar treatment for Intel HD Graphics with their open-source Linux driver for Haswell hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm in the process of making gift for myself. Tablet it will be.
    Anyone know if Intel have list of their tablets? I can either find older gen, or PowerVR chips :| ( hudle 2 do not count :P )

Comment

@Michael

Will we see any Android tablets benchmarks in 2015?

Comment

Is it possible to switch between different graphics stack without installing end-of-life Ubuntu 13.10? All without dual-booting between Ubuntu 13.10 and 14.10 just to play Warsow?

What I mean is two options:
        • Mesa 9.2, Linux Kernel 3.11
        • Mesa 10.5-dev, Linux Kernel 3.18

Switching kernels might be easier said than done, but what about Mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          @Michael

Will we see any Android tablets benchmarks in 2015?
          With regard to Android support for the Phoronix Test Suite, a few years ago I got the main part of it ("pts-core") running on Android with the PHP APK and making some small changes. Last I checked, the Phoronix Test Suite thus technically runs on Android, however, I haven't ported over any test profiles to Android... I could come up with some Android-specific test profiles that just wrap around some common Android benchmarks, but I'd be more interested in other desktop-oriented benchmarks and last I checked it still wasn't clean getting a full compiler stack and such running on Android itself.

There's been some companies interested in having PTS fully on Android, but no contracts yet for that work, so unfortunately don't have the resources to justify that work yet. When PTS can fully run on Android, will have Android tablet benchmarks on Phoronix.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
            Is it possible to switch between different graphics stack without installing end-of-life Ubuntu 13.10? All without dual-booting between Ubuntu 13.10 and 14.10 just to play Warsow?

What I mean is two options:
            • Mesa 9.2, Linux Kernel 3.11
            • Mesa 10.5-dev, Linux Kernel 3.18

Switching kernels might be easier said than done, but what about Mesa?
            Mesa is easy. Use oibaf ppa. Kernel is more trouble, so if You say that it's easy, mesa won't cause trouble for You either.

Just google oibaf ppa.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              With regard to Android support for the Phoronix Test Suite, a few years ago I got the main part of it ("pts-core") running on Android with the PHP APK and making some small changes. Last I checked, the Phoronix Test Suite thus technically runs on Android, however, I haven't ported over any test profiles to Android... I could come up with some Android-specific test profiles that just wrap around some common Android benchmarks, but I'd be more interested in other desktop-oriented benchmarks and last I checked it still wasn't clean getting a full compiler stack and such running on Android itself.

There's been some companies interested in having PTS fully on Android, but no contracts yet for that work, so unfortunately don't have the resources to justify that work yet. When PTS can fully run on Android, will have Android tablet benchmarks on Phoronix.
              That would be awesome. Cool, I'm glad to hear that at least technically speaking it is only a matter of resources.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                Mesa is easy. Use oibaf ppa. Kernel is more trouble, so if You say that it's easy, mesa won't cause trouble for You either.

Just google oibaf ppa.
                Mesa 9.2 yields faster performance for Intel users when playing Warsow. Even compared to Oibaf.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Mesa 9.2 yields faster performance for Intel users when playing Warsow. Even compared to Oibaf.
                  The mesa side is easy - just compile it yourself, or get the binaries somehow, and store them in a folder somewhere. I'd say use Oibaf so your system is 10.5, and then store 9.2 in a folder somewhere.

Then you can just lauch Warsow like this:

LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/path/to/mesa/92 glxinfo

You can't switch kernels without rebooting, but I'd see if 9.2 on a new kernel still works fast before messing around with that.

Comment

Well, I don't have an Intel CPU but at least that's good to know.

But since I don't have a CPU, one question remains concerning the performance with Mesa 9.2 and Linux kernel 3.18. Even with Mesa 9.2, there can be performance increases or regressions depending on different kernel versions. Put simply...

Mesa 9.2, Linux 3.11
                    Mesa 9.2, Linux 3.12
                    Mesa 9.2, Linux 3.17
                    Mesa 9.2, Linux 3.18
                    Mesa 10.3: Linux 3.11
                    Mesa 10.5-dev, Linux 3.11
                    Mesa 10.5-dev, Linux 3.12
                    Mesa 10.5-dev, Linux 3.17
                    Mesa 10.5-dev, Linux 3.18

I know that is a lot of different Mesa/Linux configurations to benchmark, but my point is there can be a lot of variations in terms of performance. You can have Linux 3.19-rc1 kernel or newer,, but even if you are using Mesa 9.2 to play Warsow, you can get the performance similar to that of Ubuntu 14.10 with Mesa 10.3 and Linux 3.16 and Mesa 10.5-dev and Linux 3.18, but again, even with 9.2, performance will still lag behind Ubuntu 13.10, with Linux kernel 3.11 and the same version of Mesa you are running in Ubuntu 14.10.

Comment

Working...
                    X