Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x1650's current driver support

Hi,

I'm considering the possibility of seeling my Nvidia 7600GT card to buy an ATI x1650 Pro (or similar with the RXX series chip). This card seems to have a similar performance to mine and looks well supported (I was checking this and this) as references).

ATI has been looking currently more attractive by an open source viewpoint. But I'd like to know your opinion about this, and specifically about the following points:

- Vsync status. I've read in the forums about tearing problems. I'd like to know what can I expect for this aspect, both for 2D / 3D / video playing, in the cases you are using the Open Source driver and when you're using the FGRLX driver.

- Stability with the open source and fglrx driver. I've had a 9600XT some years ago. The open source driver was kind of incomplete and slow, but the closed one was so unstable that I remember that it was better to keep using the open source one.

- Suspend/resume functionality, also on both drivers.

Although my plan is to use the open source driver, it's important to know about the fglrx status as well, since if the open source driver is not "good enough" for some situation, I'll have the closed as an alternative. Choice is always good

Any comments / opinions about this will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have an x1650pro and the performance is not even close to a 7600gt. You are thinking of the x1650xt. However, if you don't do 3D, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Yep - the 7600GT is a bigger chip than 1650 Pro; 8 ROPs vs 4 for 1650, and maybe twice the fillrate.

As Max Spain said, the 1650 XT is a better match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_Units
      Test signature

Comment

I have a machine with a x1650pro (soon to be upgraded to a 3870 for my July4 project), and it runs X+Compiz fine. There was a lot of tearing until I turned on vsync, but after that it worked fine. Can't say I use my linux environment for much graphically beyond Compiz, so I really can't say much about the x1650pro in games or 3d modeling software.

Best of luck on the graphics card shuffle.

Comment

Thank you for all your considerations. So, in fact, it probably would be a better idea to switch my card for a slightly better ATI one, so I'd not have too much risk of noticeable performance loss.

Antiphonal, could you tell me if you use the open source or fglrx driver for compiz?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto C?ssio Jr. View Post
            Thank you for all your considerations. So, in fact, it probably would be a better idea to switch my card for a slightly better ATI one, so I'd not have too much risk of noticeable performance loss.

Antiphonal, could you tell me if you use the open source or fglrx driver for compiz?

Thanks again.
            fglrx in Catalyst 8.3. Minimal issues (mainly with video playback), very usable.

Comment

Working...
            X