Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it that Radeon cannot run good old (ancient) Doom 3 engine games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that Radeon cannot run good old (ancient) Doom 3 engine games?

The Wither 2 runs fine, Quake 4 doesn't. It's absurd. I remember a few months ago these games couldn't even start. Now they do, but textures are completely missing. What's so hard in making the driver compatible with these games while it runs modern games fine?

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    The Wither 2 runs fine, Quake 4 doesn't. It's absurd. I remember a few months ago these games couldn't even start. Now they do, but textures are completely missing. What's so hard in making the driver compatible with these games while it runs modern games fine?
    Probably because you never filed a bug report and the maintainers don't play Quake 4?

Comment

Doom3's engine is open source now, developers should
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Yeah, guessing it got broken somewhere along the way and either nobody noticed or none of the folks who did notice filed bug reports.
        Test signature

Comment

Both original doom3 32bit and dhewm3 64 bit runs fine here on Kabini

Maybe you don't have s3tc or something and/or you need to remove old gcc libraries, etc...

Comment

If a game cannot even start, it's usually not a driver problem.

I think old gcc libraries in the game directory are the culprit.

Comment

The problem must just be with Quake 4 because Doom 3 Linux native runs just fine. I don't have Quake 4 to test it. Anyone have Quake 4 and wants to test this?

Tested with an up-to-date Archlinux w/ latest Catalyst 14.12 driver on a Radeon HD 5850.

BTW, I found out that you can use Steam IHS to stream Windows 8.x Metro/Modern apps and games onto a Linux desktop. The Metro start screen FPS performance is good as well when the client options are set to "Fast" mode, which is great because Wine doesn't yet support Windows 8 Metro/Modern apps and unlikely will anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                w/ latest Catalyst 14.12 driver
                We're talking about open source drivers here. The games have always worked fine with Catalyst and so do they at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                  If a game cannot even start, it's usually not a driver problem.

I think old gcc libraries in the game directory are the culprit.
                  Cannot start here means it exits complaining about missing opengl extensions. It was the case a few months/years ago. I didn't literally mean it couldn't start, it just exited "peacefully" with the error message.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Cannot start here means it exits complaining about missing opengl extensions. It was the case a few months/years ago. I didn't literally mean it couldn't start, it just exited "peacefully" with the error message.
                    That happens when you have old gcc libs in game dir Did you tried to remove them from there? libstdc++.so.6 and libgcc_s.so.1

Comment

Working...
                    X