Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Open-Source Hardware Ambient Light Sensor Is Brought Up

Phoronix: An Open-Source Hardware Ambient Light Sensor Is Brought Up

Richard Hughes is looking to develop an open-source USB ambient light sensor as an OpenHardware initiative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Couldn't the laptop camera be used for that, or does that take too much power to even turn on?

Comment

Originally posted by http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2014/12/22/openhardware-ambient-light-sensor/
      Webcams don?t count, they use up waaaay too much power and the auto-white balence is normally hardcoded in hardware.
      (ten chars)

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        Couldn't the laptop camera be used for that, or does that take too much power to even turn on?
        Its literally screaming from the mountains that neither of you read the blog post, because he answers that VERY question in it.. Always. Always. Always read the blog post. Don't just rely on Michael. Hell you didn't even read the full article since even Michael says

Originally posted by Michael;
        The device would test for ambient light levels and be more efficient than the common hacked about approach of using a web camera as a light sensor.
        Which is half the reason given in the blog.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Why would he do this?

I'm puzzled by the idea of putting this on a USB bus. In modern hardware you would either use an analog in or one of the embedded serial busses that exist for this very purpose. USB is massive overkill for such a simple need.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            I'm puzzled by the idea of putting this on a USB bus. In modern hardware you would either use an analog in or one of the embedded serial busses that exist for this very purpose. USB is massive overkill for such a simple need.
            Those busses (i2c/SMBus/etc) are not available outside the chassis in a practical form. This is about a sensor that you just plug in and it works, not something optimized for building into the device.

Comment

Working...
            X