17-Way Linux Graphics Card Comparison With Civilization Beyond Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17-Way Linux Graphics Card Comparison With Civilization Beyond Earth

Phoronix: 17-Way Linux Graphics Card Comparison With Civilization Beyond Earth

On Thursday, Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth was finally released for Linux. With being able to properly automate the benchmarking of CivBE on Linux, here's our first performance results out for this high-profile, turn-based strategy game for Steam on Linux. Seventeen AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards were benchmarked for this article and the results are quite interesting.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm, seems like that is true, as PizzaCat said there FPS capped on Linux (AMD fglrx drivers) even in other games for "unknown" reason

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Hm, seems like that is true, as PizzaCat said there FPS capped on Linux (AMD fglrx drivers) even in other games for "unknown" reason
      Quality AMD drivers as usual.

Comment

It's working quite nicely for me (although performance could be better) with radeonsi (mesa git from yesterday) with llvm 3.6. Check my post on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/65980/...29820924042305
        Michael, you could try this ppa https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-...ve/ubuntu/mesa (which is a derivative from oibaf's but with llvm 3.6) for some mesa benchmarking.

Comment

Michael please stop using oibaf ppa, using a stable LLVM with radeonsi is a nonsense. PLEASE.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

But why catalyst omega which has lower performance on almost all cards tested?

Comment

Michael did you have Threaded rendering off? Some user report that it can top 70+ on high settings, otherwise it crawl. http://steamcommunity.com/app/65980/...29820750669462

EDIT: just looked to benchmark profile and "Enable Threaded Rendering = 1"
              Last edited by AnonymousCoward; 21 December 2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I understand that the AMD drivers are bad, but this game was so obviously micro-optimized for NVidia hardware it's not even funny. Did you all forget that they were willing to drop AMD/Intel support even??

And we all know NVidia has it's own... quirks with the way it handles OpenGL and stuff so it's definitely no surprise that the game runs like shit on any other cards.

Comment

Michael,

Have you tested the Windows version of this game with the latest Windows Catalyst driver?

It would be interesting to see how the Linux versus Windows Catalyst drivers stack up with this game.

Comment

Multi-core support?

How's the multi-core support in CIV:BE?

I was playing Civ 5, and the turns were taking like five minutes. It was nicely pegging one core for AI. That's great, except I'm playing on a 24-core workstation. Will CIV:BE be any better?

Comment

Working...
                    X