Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P45 motherboard / Intel ICH10R

Hello all!

I'm planing to put myself a new computer together and the CPU is most probably going to be a Intel Core2 Duo E8400. I first had a X48 based mobo in mind but now became aware of the new P45 boards. Since its a 65nm chipset it is said to consume less power compared to the X38/X48 based boards (90nm), which I find very interesting. Besides, the P45 are noticeable cheaper than the X48 boards.

Therefore I'd like to know if somebody here has already some experience with the P45 boards. Are they working with Linux, any known problems? What about the new Intel ICH10R chipset and TPM- is it just the usual (*NIX-user) paranoia or should the topic be considered more serious?

I have a few P45 boards sitting on my pile of new stuff to test... Should have some results soon.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks alot Michael!

Comment

Any news on the Intel chipsets P45 and ICH10R? Should we be expecting reviews of those in the following week? Thanks.

Comment

I don't think you will see many changes compared to X48 boards. Basically P45 has the same specs just cheaper - without official FSB 1600 support, but that can do any Intel chipset since P965.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            I don't think you will see many changes compared to X48 boards. Basically P45 has the same specs just cheaper - without official FSB 1600 support, but that can do any Intel chipset since P965.
            I was wondering about the chipsets drivers. Will they work just like previous ones?

Comment

For me dmraid support for onboard raid would be interesting, but that is currently not working correctly. Even with patched dmraid it calcs wrong by at least 1 cylinder (when you configure it with Win first). For standard use the IDE controller should not be differnt - it works ether in IDE legacy emulation mode (needed for cdrom in many cases to install) or via AHCI. Both work via standard drivers. The rest is usally not critical.

Comment

Originally posted by mahuyar View Post
                I was wondering about the chipsets drivers. Will they work just like previous ones?
                Apart from different PCI-IDs, Intel chipsets rarely change their register
                interface, so yes, they should work (especially "old" pieces like ahci, smbus, audio)

Comment

Working...
                X