Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization: Beyond Earth Linux GPU/Driver Benchmarks

Phoronix: Civilization: Beyond Earth Linux GPU/Driver Benchmarks

Thursday marked the Linux release of Civilization: Beyond Earth. While benchmarking games on Steam is less than ideal, I've managed to get CivBE worked into shape so that it can be used for automated Linux performance testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great work! I purchased that game today, too, while there was 40% off.
    The game is playable for me using AMD's proprietary driver. Yet, there are graphical glitches. Before, I was using the radeon driver, however, the game crashed the system when starting a new game.
    I'd be interested in other people's AMD or Intel driver results.

FYI:
    Desktop: GnomeShell on ArchLinux
    Driver: catalyst 14.12-1
    GPU: AMD Juniper PRO [Radeon HD 5750]
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      Great work! I purchased that game today, too, while there was 40% off.
      The game is playable for me using AMD's proprietary driver. Yet, there are graphical glitches. Before, I was using the radeon driver, however, the game crashed the system when starting a new game.
      I'd be interested in other people's AMD or Intel driver results.

FYI:
      Desktop: GnomeShell on ArchLinux
      Driver: catalyst 14.12-1
      GPU: AMD Juniper PRO [Radeon HD 5750]
      CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
      It needs to be more than 40% off since I already own Civ5 I am not paying 30? for a glorified mod (which apparently spent way too much time and effort in making a new graphics engine that produce almost the exact same results as the old one but complicating porting).

Comment

Was it with nouveau or does the engine really suck that hard? 25 fps with a 680...
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Was it with nouveau or does the engine really suck that hard? 25 fps with a 680...
          Most likely engine is like that Windows version results for similar hw specs/resolution/settings:

Comment

Please 1080p benchmarks

1080p is the most common resolution used this days, and 720p if the game is slow at your computer to make it able to be played

I do not understand why you continue to benchmark ONLY in higher resolutions that are not usual, it is good to put them too, but not good for what benchmark is, compare it for the real consumer.

More as Steam OS is mean to be plugged to TV sets as a game console and TV sets are 720p 1080p and a few 4k

Tahks in advance for taking this into consideration for further testing.

As now debs distros are about 50% of the Linux market and Arch (Antergos and Manjaro included) are about 25% with a recent high grouth having a deb test (mainly ubuntu but Steam OS too) and an arch one, better for me if it is Manjaro, would also be nice.
            Last edited by mitcoes; 21 December 2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              It needs to be more than 40% off since I already own Civ5 I am not paying 30? for a glorified mod (which apparently spent way too much time and effort in making a new graphics engine that produce almost the exact same results as the old one but complicating porting).
              Where was it 40% off? I would have bought it last night for that much, but Steam shows 16% off. I pretty much own all the Civiliztation games, though admittedly, my favorite is still the second one. I waited a very long time for three to come out, and it jus wasn't the same. Five is awesome, now that they've added all the expansions (things that should have been there in the first place).

Comment

Civ5 engine SUCKS

I feel that there is simply no excuse for Civ5 to consume that much CPU/GPU.

I feel like these days it's a matter of pride and prestige to produce a game that only runs on latest greatest hardware. It doesn't really seem to matter if that hardware is put to good use or simply wasted...

--Coder

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
                  I feel that there is simply no excuse for Civ5 to consume that much CPU/GPU.

I feel like these days it's a matter of pride and prestige to produce a game that only runs on latest greatest hardware. It doesn't really seem to matter if that hardware is put to good use or simply wasted...

--Coder
                  Yeah but that started with Civ4, though that did have better graphics than Civ5, and had more complex shaders. Still quite a shock that Civ4 originally couldn't be played on laptops and required recent graphics cards.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    Yeah but that started with Civ4, though that did have better graphics than Civ5, and had more complex shaders. Still quite a shock that Civ4 originally couldn't be played on laptops and required recent graphics cards.
                    They must employ coders that think optimization is using every bit of processor power, instead leaving some for the OS to do it's thing. I have worked with such a coder.... he couldn't grasp the concept that optimization meant the opposite, make the program as efficient as possible, using the least resources.

Comment

Working...
                    X