Speeding up systemd networking service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    You can only make it static if you exclude that IP from DHCP in the router. Otherwise galaxies will explode when someone comes over and connects their phone before you power your computer on.
    ^ This. And that's actually a good idea. There's no need for dhcp for fixed desktop pc setups. And this should not be a problem nowadays, because all routers I bought in the last 5 years had dhcp address range starting at x.x.x.50 or x.x.x.100 by default.

Comment

Hmm. What do I use for the gateway and subnet mask? (Maybe I should have gotten that Network+ certification after all.)

Comment

Gateway and DNS server (if you do not use some external dns server) is your routers IP.

Subnet mask is a harder questions, because it depends on how the router is configured but 255.255.255.0 is a good guess and the most common one.
        You could easily find out if you still have DHCP set up and check what DHCP assigns to the mask: sudo ifconfig

Comment

Thanks to all. The networking service is now under 1 second. (I'm on a 7200RPM hard disk. I've been too poor to buy an SSD.)

Comment

Working...
          X