After 10+ Years, NetworkManager Reaches v1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
    I don't still know how to mix (conceptually) these two piece of software. Systemd-networkd will replace network-manager? Will it be a complement? I'm loss, sorry
    Systemd-networkd is meant for a system with an unchanging or very simple network setup like a container (bridge) or server who's network setup never changes.

NetworkManager is meant for phones, laptops and desktops (you could prob use networkd on a desktop but then no DE integration). It deals with multiple WiFi Networks, VPN's, cell networks, airplane mode, application signalling, etc.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Simple.

Networkmanager / connman for desktop mobile stuff.

Systemd-networkd for containers and basic networking stuff on servers or whatever.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Systemd-networkd is meant for a system with an unchanging or very simple network setup like a container (bridge) or server who's network setup never changes.

NetworkManager is meant for phones, laptops and desktops (you could prob use networkd on a desktop but then no DE integration). It deals with multiple WiFi Networks, VPN's, cell networks, airplane mode, application signalling, etc.

Oh, I see. Thanks!!!

Comment

mptcp

Any plans to support/enable mptcp connections within nm? For mobile it would make a lot of sense to seamlessly move from wifi to 3G/4G (or use in parallell), but also laptops have multiple connections sometimes - and perhaps servers where network reliability would be critical, having two or more independent connections simultaneously active could be quite good...

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          Congratulations. It's a major accomplishment and has made networking configuration better than Windows and just second behind OS X.
          It already was better than osx's.

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
            That crack about making Linux networking "as good as BSDs" sounds just like the sort of thing a FreeBSD fanboy would say, but I'm having a hard time finding any way to quantify such an absurd claim. To such a one i would simply say "Wake up, Rip Van Winkle! 1993 was a long time ago, and Linux has matched or surpassed FreeBSD in every meaningful measure of performance". I've searched the benchmark results where networking performance is critical (supercomputing, specweb etc) and find that such performance contests are absolutely dominated by Linux. I can't find FreeBSD systems anywhere near the top - so how bad could Linux networking performance be, really?
            THIS! The FreeBSD network stack is slow and riddled with bugs, its at least 5 years behind Linux in performance and scalability.

Comment

This is a pretty good summary, thank you.

Also, it shold be noted that NetworkManager now has a configure-and-quit feature that saves resources for simple and static configuration and also ships with an internal dhcpd client based on systemd-networkd that arguably performs better than dhclient (though it does not handle DHCPv6 in 1.0 yet).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Hm, now if only someone cared to fix the NetworkManager Cisco VPN GUI to allow sending empty strings to log in...
                That sounds like a pretty straightforward thing to fix. Do you have a link to the bug report?

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post
                  That sounds like a pretty straightforward thing to fix. Do you have a link to the bug report?
                  Yeap, here: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=703509

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                    This piece of crap software has given enough headaches to people, and it's still doing it...

Are you new to this website?
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

or simply
                    http://www.google.com/search?q=faceb...nux+networking

I've asked for specifics before but didn't get a response. What are the problems? Where is the data that I can peruse?
                    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the bsd network stacks were "better" than Linux in some areas.

Comment

You are either lying out of your ass or hopelessly trolling... Linux is good, but its not perfect. Facebook and Netflix both stated that they go for FreeBSD over Linux for certain servers because FreeBSD's network subsystem scales to many more connections with higher performance than Linux' does.
                      Link? *

* I only found some reference to this in freebsd.org - but nothing else.
                      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X