No announcement yet.

FSF's High Priority Project List Now Has A Committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some projects succeed and some others don't, that's how life works. I don't think there's anything particularly worrisome about the success rate of these high priority projects as identified by the FSF. Most of them aren't GNU projects either, so I really fail to understand why the FSF is to be blamed about them. I smell Moronix bullshit making up tragedies again.

Originally posted by gens View Post
    notable exception that i know of is octave (there are probably more)
    I can think of Coreboot, which Phoronix is constantly covering and bragging about all the time. They don't need to be GNU projects to be part of the High Priority list.

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    WebRTC is here (FF Hello) so goodbye skype.
    You mean TOX

Sadly FSF ideology doesn't bring results. Money and work -a lot of it- do. 2-3 people working on their space time won't get you a good app.
    You can be easily proven wrong with countless counterexamples. Why is there so many good and successful ideology-motivated software out there then? Why have many of the most acclaimed programming projects being created by a couple guys on their spare time?

Comment

With the expansion of mobile devices games and apps will sooner or later move away from flash.

The problem with FOSS complex apps is that they lack the polishing of commercial apps. Meaning you spend more time on them. And people don't like wasting time and are willing to pay for the polishing.

Sadly FSF ideology doesn't bring results. Money and work -a lot of it- do. 2-3 people working on their space time won't get you a good app.
      I tend to agree with this and it's not really a bad thing. However, good open-source projects that offer something of value to be had by many users will often attract corporate sponsors and/or a steady stream of donations, bringing in new additional developers and help fund the main developers to work full-time on their projects.

As for Gnash, it's an ambious project but it has fallen so far behind Adobe Flash that it is arguably not even usable for today's Flash web content. IIRC, Gnash is targetting Flash/SWF 7 and 8, whereas Adobe Flash is now at version 16. It's a much better experience on Linux to either use Chrome w/ built-in Flash or Firefox w/ Pipelight flash plugin or Libfreshwrapper-Pepperflash.

Comment

Proprietary formats will die on their own like flash has.

They even had to open mp4 to keep it alive.

As far as hardware goes I think we should only actively support companies that support us. Intel would be the example for graphics chips right now. Keeping a GPUs ISA secret is the same as keeping a CPU's except no one would buy a secret CPU ISA. Why are we playing their game?

Glad to see movement on this project as a whole. Hopefully it can set goals that attract development.

Comment

Working...
        X