Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSF's High Priority Project List Now Has A Committee

Phoronix: FSF's High Priority Project List Now Has A Committee

The Free Software Foundation has now built up a committee to review their "High Priority Projects" list and they're looking for more feedback from the community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the fsf's high priority projects, whatever may be the criticism, are really hard to do and actually useful
    in contrast to some other popular bullshit project(s) that are not really useful nor hard to do

that said, many fsf hpp are going too slow
    notable exception that i know of is octave (there are probably more)

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
      the fsf's high priority projects, whatever may be the criticism, are really hard to do and actually useful
      in contrast to some other popular bullshit project(s) that are not really useful nor hard to do

that said, many fsf hpp are going too slow
      notable exception that i know of is octave (there are probably more)
      Fun fact is that it takes them so long that some of the projects will become obsolete. Ie flash. Many are moving from matlab to python AFAIK even though it is considered an Industry standard and coreboot is taken care of by MFGs. WebRTC is here (FF Hello) so goodbye skype.

Video editors and CAD/DWG is going to be difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Fun fact is that it takes them so long that some of the projects will become obsolete. Ie flash. Many are moving from matlab to python AFAIK even though it is considered an Industry standard and coreboot is taken care of by MFGs. WebRTC is here (FF Hello) so goodbye skype.

Video editors and CAD/DWG is going to be difficult.
        i myself would really like gnash to succeed, as that would mean no more gtk tie ins or the stupid alsa card0 problem
        while flash is no longer needed for youtube as well as many other video sites, there are still plenty flash games and educational apps

CAD, yes, is actually complex
        there is freecad though, not that it'l get to the catia level soon (although there are plenty of open source FEM solvers)
        i played around with it a bit and it's good enough for something that is not an airplane

another complicated thing people forget when spammed with "linux problems" is a good EDA program, that gEDA aims to be
        i think gEDA is also a FSF project, idk

although i'm not the greatest fan of the FSF, it should be said that many of their projects are very complex and they really do advance OSS in general
        kudos to them for not being fkin dramatic about it

Comment

With the expansion of mobile devices games and apps will sooner or later move away from flash.

The problem with FOSS complex apps is that they lack the polishing of commercial apps. Meaning you spend more time on them. And people don't like wasting time and are willing to pay for the polishing.

Sadly FSF ideology doesn't bring results. Money and work -a lot of it- do. 2-3 people working on their space time won't get you a good app.

Comment

The problem with FOSS complex apps is that they lack the polishing of commercial apps. Meaning you spend more time on them. And people don't like wasting time and are willing to pay for the polishing.

Sadly FSF ideology doesn't bring results. Money and work -a lot of it- do. 2-3 people working on their space time won't get you a good app.
            well yes, ofc
            it takes development time to make something complex
            as an example, CATIA had it's initial release in 1977 and a ton of man-hours since then

that said OSS has things like Ardour and blender, that can rival commercial programs
            i tried octave, not knowing mathlab it seems that octave is good enough to use now and will be great in the future
            LMMS might be good, that idk since i never used fruity loops
            and idk, there are probably plenty more

FOSS even has an advantage in some cases,
            like the mentioned FEM solvers that, while not having a pretty GUI, are really advanced
            and i have to mention meshlab, that is just amazing and has no equal

another thing to note is that trowing money and devs at something is not always a good idea
            history has shown that it is better for a project to have a few good devs then an army of mediocre ones

PS speech recognition and synthesis, motion tracking and so on are also really complicated to do
            FSF has a few projects on that too (and blender has good motion tracking)

PPS flight gear is also very very complex OSS project
            Last edited by gens; 19 December 2014, 12:13 PM.

Comment

With the expansion of mobile devices games and apps will sooner or later move away from flash.

Don't imply “commercial” is proprietary (and don't imply “open source” costs nothing either).

Flash is still here and powers a large part of the legacy Web (and some parts of today's Web too). Thus, software that can run it is still useful.

There are polished free/libre programs around, also lack of polishing doesn't mean you spend more time on something, it just feels worse – what matters more is the community and documentation.

The FSF ideology has been proven many times to give results; the ultra-commercial, proprietary approach to software has been proven to be destructive.
              Last edited by Calinou; 19 December 2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Don't imply “commercial” is proprietary (and don't imply “open source” costs nothing either).

Flash is still here and powers a large part of the legacy Web (and some parts of today's Web too). Thus, software that can run it is still useful.

There are polished free/libre programs around, also lack of polishing doesn't mean you spend more time on something, it just feels worse – what matters more is the community and documentation.

The FSF ideology has been proven many times to give results; the ultra-commercial, proprietary approach to software has been proven to be destructive.
                People don't care about the ideology, the community neither the documentation. They want an app that works and is easy to use/doesn't give you a headache. End of story. FOSS projects that understand this have many users others that care about ideology and those kind of things suck.

Comment

I think the best option for an open Adobe Flash/SWF player it will be shumway (from mozilla) rather than Gnash. They should stop working in gnash and cooperate with shumway.

Comment

Originally posted by hourwatch View Post
                    I think the best option for an open Adobe Flash/SWF player it will be shumway (from mozilla) rather than Gnash. They should stop working in gnash and cooperate with shumway.
                    Yep. The plugin api that gnash uses is being killed off too don't waste anymore time on this.

Comment

Working...
                    X