Any package manager close to that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any package manager close to that?

So what I want is a GUI (and optional CLI), where I can categorically search for package.

See its ratings from others, development and bugtracker site.

Be able to pick a version. See which versions are vulnerable. This also includes upgrades - without need to upgrade unless I want it or its marked vulnerable.
    As a side note, if one of my installed applications gets marked as vulnerable, I should immediately get notified - say email or desktop notification.

The system should mark my choice in a way gentoo does it - as an end target, not dependency. So I have a clear list of packages that I have explicitly installed, not a mess.
    Finally, I should see which USE flags/optional dependencies/optdepends are offered if any and select them.

Then it should proceed to either grabbing a binary package, which is either prebuilt for me, because this software in this version and these optional packages is so popular; or start building it itself, clearly marking up which versions require local compilation. And ability to automatically share the built binary package (some checksumming and transparent sharing over P2P, with some verifications from upstream) between the clients would be nice.

Also, with ability to install a package isolated, and by local user.

And it would be cool, if the package manager could determine what components are required to support current hardware and offer them.

This is a system I dream of, flexible, accepting both binary and source transparently, with security and ability to switch versions as one sees fit. And without core breakages (libpng in Gentoo etc).

Is there anything like that yet?
Working...
X