The New SuperTuxKart Looks Better, But Can Cause GPU/Driver Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New SuperTuxKart Looks Better, But Can Cause GPU/Driver Problems

Phoronix: The New SuperTuxKart Looks Better, But Can Cause GPU/Driver Problems

A new SuperTuxKart beta premiered today after one year of work and lands their new graphics engine that leverages OpenGL 3.1 for rendering. I've now had some hands on time with this open-source GL3 game with some initial thoughts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The game does look much better than the older versions of SuperTuxKart, but even though it now has a GL3 engine don't expect it to look like a AAA game as some of the art assets still leave a lot to be desired, etc.
    And not a single screenshot of the two new tracks. I bet, he didn't even test those.

Comment

...The developers also recommend using the proprietary drivers as opposed to the open-source Mesa/Gallium3D drivers...
      For a game that's pretty much the poster child for FOSS gaming, that's poor. If anything it should be the other way around, they should be recommending the open source drivers and it should have been developed to work on those first.

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
        And not a single screenshot of the two new tracks. I bet, he didn't even test those.
        --track= didn't seem to work for the new tracks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Every reproducible problem found is a gain. It can be fixed and increase the end quality of the products.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            For a game that's pretty much the poster child for FOSS gaming, that's poor. If anything it should be the other way around, they should be recommending the open source drivers and it should have been developed to work on those first.
            No, what should happen is that FOSS drivers should get their act together and not crash just because a game uses modern gpu features.

Comment

Hi I'm samuncle one of the main dev from the supertuxkart team

I wanted to add some precisions. Like we said in our original blog post not all tracks are converted and you tested only "old tracks" that where minimaly ported to the new engine. To test the new engine in all it's glory you should try the track Gran Paradiso Island or Cocoa Temple. These are using the new engine.

This is a screenshot directly taken ingame

You can unlock them by playing the story mode or by editing the file players.xml and replacing all solved="none" by solved="hard" (see this http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/...config_file.3F) to locate your players.xml

Have a nice race

Sam

Comment

The new tracks look much better than the old ones.

Also, be sure to play with graphics maxed/set to quality level 5.

Comment

You may need this patch for Mesa :

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    No, what should happen is that FOSS drivers should get their act together and not crash just because a game uses modern gpu features.
                    Now that this renderer is out, I guess it will work on upstream mesa by end of January ...

Comment

Working...
                    X