Affordable USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 NICs That Work With Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thue View Post
    So how fast are they actually? Even some PCIe NICs have trouble reaching their rated spec, so it would be a natural thing to test the USB NICs to see if they can actually reliably reach 100Mbit and 1000Mbit respectively.
    Should be close to 100Mbit, according to http://www.buyincoins.com/item/18657.html >90Mbit. The linked AX88772b works even on an ancient 3.0 Kernel on my Rockchip RK3066 stick. Took forever to arrive though.

Comment

ASIX USB 3.0 Gigabit Adapters Much Better Than ASIX USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapters

I bought some ASIX USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapters (AX88772B) from a few vendors and they seemed to work fine at first until you started to use them with ARM development boards, Android phones, or Chromebooks. The common problem was power. These devices take so much power that they sometimes required a powered USB hub to avoid seeing PHY errors in the kernel, slowing down the connection or not working at all. I measured the power to be as high as 1W (only change was removing the USB adapter), which is a lot when the idle power of a Chromebook is 4W. One ARM development board I bought had this ASIC soldered directly onto the board and it was too hot to even touch.

Then I bought a "TRENDnet TU3-ETG ADAPTER USB 3.0 TO GIGABIT" from Fry's and wow what a difference. It requires a newer kernel, but it worked on all devices without a powered USB hub, didn't get warm and power consumption was much more acceptable. Speed testing it on a Chromebook running Linux using iperf showed 990 Mbps. It's detected under Linux as "ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet" using the driver "ax88179_178a". I'd highly recommend staying away from the USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet adapters based on ASIX chipsets. Their USB 3.0 Gigabit Adapters are much better designed. Also buying a USB 2.0 Gigabit Adapter seems like a waste of money since you're limted by the USB bus.

Comment

I have owned the USB 3.0 version for some time. It has worked very well and has been a great purchase. It should be noted that the chip in it is also the AX88179 inside.

Comment

USB3 version works fine in a USB2 socket but not everyone has a great experience with AX88179 on USB3:

Comment

Working...
          X