Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDAB Provides An Overview Of Qt3D 2.0

Phoronix: KDAB Provides An Overview Of Qt3D 2.0

The next-generation Qt3D component to the Qt tool-kit is finally starting to come together...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So it's basically an abstraction layer on top of OpenGL and possibly DX9 for qt quick. Personally, I'm fedup with abstraction layers for things like OpenGL that are supposed to be crossplatform for us not to have to learn abstraction layers in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      So it's basically an abstraction layer on top of OpenGL and possibly DX9 for qt quick.
      No, it isn't, at least no more than Qt is an abstraction layer over X11. It is a high-level 3D engine and 3D toolkit, much more like Unity than Phonon.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        No, it isn't, at least no more than Qt is an abstraction layer over X11. It is a high-level 3D engine and 3D toolkit, much more like Unity than Phonon.
        Java tried it with J3D and failed. Unlike graphical toolkits (Gtk, Qt, etc) people don't need abstraction layers on top of native 3D solutions like OpenGL or DX9 (unless you plan to do lazy stuff like the flash player), because they add another layer of bugs and complexity, and no matter how much you abstract away OpenGL you still have to learn shaders and 3D math. And as to 3D engines - the market is overloaded with them.

Comment

Java tried it with J3D and failed. Unlike graphical toolkits (Gtk, Qt, etc) people don't need abstraction layers on top of native 3D solutions like OpenGL or DX9 (unless you plan to do lazy stuff like the flash player), because they add another layer of bugs and complexity, and no matter how much you abstract away OpenGL you still have to learn shaders and 3D math.
          As I said, it is not an abstraction layer. Please read the blog post and see what they actually did before criticizing them for doing something they didn't do.

And as to 3D engines - the market is overloaded with them.
          Game engines, yes. Engines that integrate nicely with existing GUI toolkits using an API similar to what the GUI toolkit uses, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            As I said, it is not an abstraction layer. Please read the blog post and see what they actually did before criticizing them for doing something they didn't do.

Game engines, yes. Engines that integrate nicely with existing GUI toolkits using an API similar to what the GUI toolkit uses, not so much.
            As I said, it's irrelevant either as an abstraction layer or engine, or anything they wanna call it because it's still a pile of code over existing OpenGL and/or DX9 - and the market is over saturated already in the second case and needless in the first case.
            But sure, people will be using it just like people are using VBscript/Net/whatever and other solutions simply because if a major software provider throws out anything, it's gonna stick with someone no matter how shitty the product/idea is.
            Last edited by mark45; 16 December 2014, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              [b]So it's basically an abstraction layer on top of OpenGL and possibly DX9 for qt quick. Personally, I'm fedup with abstraction layers for things like OpenGL that are supposed to be crossplatform for us not to have to learn abstraction layers in the first place.
              You might as well say: What? There's a "toolkit" now? That's just a useless abstraction layer over the X protocol. What a waste of time.
              Last edited by chuckula; 16 December 2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

As I said, it's irrelevant either as an abstraction layer or engine, or anything they wanna call it because it's still a pile of code over existing OpenGL and/or DX9 - and the market is over saturated already in the second case and needless in the first case.
                Nope - this isn't (or at won't be used as) a 3D game engine.

It's for integrating 3D content/displays into GUI software, which means integration with surrounding widgets and interface. Unity-alikes are all very well for games and simulators, but painful if you want a conveniently-rotatable 3-axis plot in your spreadsheet, or a nicely-rendered virtual globe in your GIS or photo-organising thing.
                I've seen too many apps where 'the 3D bit' is almost completely separate - even down to not accepting keyboard shortcuts when moused-over - because combining game-oriented 3D engines with real interfaces is damn hard.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                  Nope - this isn't (or at won't be used as) a 3D game engine.

It's for integrating 3D content/displays into GUI software, which means integration with surrounding widgets and interface. Unity-alikes are all very well for games and simulators, but painful if you want a conveniently-rotatable 3-axis plot in your spreadsheet, or a nicely-rendered virtual globe in your GIS or photo-organising thing.
                  I've seen too many apps where 'the 3D bit' is almost completely separate - even down to not accepting keyboard shortcuts when moused-over - because combining game-oriented 3D engines with real interfaces is damn hard.
                  Yeah. But while I think Qt3D looks awesome I still don't see that many practical usecases, and the articles from KDAB actually seems to target light-weight game development.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    the articles from KDAB actually seems to target light-weight game development.
                    I guess that is mostly a by-product of it being a blog.

Game stuff is easier to related to by readers with diverse backgrounds than whatever KDAB's customers are usually developing.

Cheers,
                    _

Comment

Working...
                    X