Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay For Faster Linux Kernel Performance? There's Patches For That

Phoronix: Pay For Faster Linux Kernel Performance? There's Patches For That

The "eXt73" patch-set aspires to yield faster kernel performance and better power efficiency. Independent benchmarks published of the eXt73 patch-set indicate faster performance out of the patched Linux kernel, but these patches do come at a cost for end-users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Be wary, this seems stupid

If these were genuine improvements that are likely to someone will figure it out or take a look at it and independently re-implement it and submit a free patch upstream.

Beware these may not be genuine improvements, performance could be increased by compromising on on data security and sacrificing data integrity by skipping locking or have delayed locking.
    So these may superficially look attractive when benchmarking but they end up costing you your data.

Comment

Well... GPL.
      So either they're doing something illegal, or they're charging for some specific assistance, or they're just asking for donations.

Comment

Hi,

I quickly scanned website and the author(s) distribute all patches under gpl 2.0 license (there are links to polish text of it). However, you have to pay for pre-compile kernels. After signing agreement you will get all new builds for 1 year. Text from this page:

Comment

Thats not how GPL works. This is perfectly fine.

Comment

I'm not an English expert, but that translations seems to be good enough.

Generally he is saying, that all kernels are being polished, some changes added, they also are changing open parts of AMD and other drivers to have them working better.
            Cost 50 PLN (that's like 13 Euro) is a paid yearly subscription for compiled binary and all updates, there is few types of kernels.
            So it does seems legit.

Please let me know if i can help with translating some specific qutes.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by wawrzek View Post
              Hi,

However, you have to pay for pre-compile kernels. After signing agreement you will get all new builds for 1 year.
              To be precise for kernel provided by author(s). Obviously you can build them yourself for free.

Oh, one more thing. They claim to use specific complicator flags and options which improves performance. So your builds won't be the same as theirs.

I would say it OK.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Pay For Faster Linux Kernel Performance? There's Patches For That

The "eXt73" patch-set aspires to yield faster kernel performance and better power efficiency. Independent benchmarks published of the eXt73 patch-set indicate faster performance out of the patched Linux kernel, but these patches do come at a cost for end-users...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg2NDM
                "I released a new version of my kernels v32.4 Premium Kernels - i7, i7-pro, brazos i brazos-pro, based on Linux 3.17.4. In these versions as in the previous, I also have implemented the "clock" HZ=500. In these kernels initially [testing] implemented the aufs file system - here in order to operate Docker containers. These kernels are deeper tailored to architectures which they are assigned. The other changes [very many amendments] in the sources we learn by studying this link - git.kernel.org. Kernels built based on Gcc 4.9.3 20141119 (prerelease)."

1 - he provides kernels optimised for certain cpu's
                2 - there are no sources for his kernel patches because there are no patches

"Kernele zostały zbudowane w oparciu o źr?dła Vanilla ("czyste" źr?dła) kernela."

Kernels were built from vanilla sources with latest gcc. They were just "optimised". If someone wants to pay for such service it's not my business

I only can congratulate netext73 kernel author for a good business idea.

Comment

It's normal to pay for work, under condition:
                  • the work go to the mainline
                  • is clean, professional without security problem
                  • under GPL and have open source mind
                  • is validated by other
                  Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    There are also free version of eXt73 kernels - less optimized. For example:
                    http://www.netext73.pl/2014/12/kerne...-oparte-o.html

Comment

Working...
                    X