Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No OpenCL with latest driver updates on Ubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No OpenCL with latest driver updates on Ubuntu?

OpenCL is disabled after the latest proprietary driver update for Ubuntu 14.04 (331.113). This also occurs with the most recent 340.65 driver from XOrg Edgers. I have confirmed this with multiple PCs. Can anyone confirm this?

Maybe related with this bug? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/+bug/1401350

The Nvidia OpenCL implementation is still there (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnvidia-opencl.so.1), and still properly referenced in /etc/OpenCL/vendors/nvidia.icd, but ICD loaders seem to ignore it or are unable to load it.

It seems CUDA is also affected:

I was using NVIDIA 331.38 with CUDA toolkit 6.5 and all my applications were able to detect GPU. After NVIDIA 331.113 update, CUDA is not working. Anyone else experiencing the same? Thank you

As such, CUDA/OpenCL currently broken in Ubuntu.

Comment

Installing nvidia-modprobe fixed the problem. Wonder why it's necessary for newer drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by fakenmc View Post
        Installing nvidia-modprobe fixed the problem. Wonder why it's necessary for newer drivers?
        "utility to load NVIDIA kernel modules and create device nodes

This setuid program is used to create NVIDIA Linux device files and load the
        NVIDIA kernel module, on behalf of NVIDIA Linux driver components which may
        not have sufficient privileges to perform these actions on their own."

Probably because recent Xorg can be started without root priviledges, thanks to systemd.

Comment

Working...
        X