Dual Head with two VGA monitors on a Radeon HD 6870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Head with two VGA monitors on a Radeon HD 6870

So after seeing all of the glowing coverage that the Radeon HD 6870 was getting with the FOSS drivers on Phoronix I finally broke down and found myself a good deal on Kijiji that got me two Sapphire HD 6870 graphics cards for just $125.00 CDN. Performance wise things have been working great, but I have encountered a problem when it comes to working with my two VGA monitors.

The Sapphire HD 6870 comes with a Single-Link DVI-D port, one Dual-Link DVI-I port, one HDMI port, and one DisplayPort. My primary head already has a VGA to DVI-I converter cable, which allows it to work on the Dual-Link DVI-I port without issue. Unfortunately the second head only has a male VGA output, and since I can not convert from VGA to Single-Link DVI-D, I was beginning to think I was going to get a new monitor.

Thankfully, I found out that you can convert from VGA to DisplayPort:

My question now is, if I do get myself one of these adapters, could I continue to use both of my monitors in a Zaphod Mode setup as I did previously?

Why dont you use a dvi cable? Look for a white connector on your monitors. Otherwise i would geht something better.

Comment

Both of my monitors only have VGA outputs, something I did of course check beforehand. I also have several spare VGA only monitors around my house, and through the use of this adapter I could in theory guarantee a certain amount of redundancy in case one of my current screens dies on me.

Besides, getting one of these DisplayPort to VGA adapters is still far cheaper than getting a new HDMI, DVI-D, or DisplayPort monitor. I am on a budget here.
      Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 13 December 2014, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Yes this works for 2 monitors.

Comment

Based on my research it looks as simple as replacing Option "ZaphodHeads" "DVI-0" with Option "ZaphodHeads" "DisplayPort-0" in my xorg.conf file.

I suppose the only way to find out now is to actually go out and buy the thing.

I might opt for a slightly more expensive one as the cheaper adapters are supposed to be a little fragile:
          Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 13 December 2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Yes that's all you have to do. And I would also recommend to spend a little more money than CDN$10 on this. It doesn't have to be the most expensive one, but maybe buy an article which has good reviews.

Comment

Yeah, at this point I am probably going to go with the Cable Matters adapter I linked to previously on Amazon. It is normally around $35.00 CDN, but it is around 50% off at the moment and has nine very positive reviews to go along with it.

Comment

Due to some holiday related delays my Cable Matters adapter only just arrived today, and the good news is that it works absolutely fine. I had a slight problem when restoring my old xorg.conf file, but that was because my main head was now on DVI-1 rather than DVI-0. Other than that everything is just perfect.

Comment

Working...
                X