AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega Driver Brings Mixed Results For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega Driver Brings Mixed Results For Linux Users

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega Driver Brings Mixed Results For Linux Users

There are some significant performance improvements to find with this week's Linux version of the AMD Catalyst 14.12 "Omega" driver, but there's also some Linux OpenGL performance regressions to note too. Feedback from the Linux community as well to this new driver has been mixed.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice to see open source drivers as well in the tests. For me it seems that older cards (e.g. 6k series) may have better performance with those.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      It would be nice to see open source drivers as well in the tests. For me it seems that older cards (e.g. 6k series) may have better performance with those.
      As said in the article, they're coming in a separate later article.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

AMD should rename this driver as "AMD Omega 290" driver for obvious reasons...just saying...

Comment

I would add the R9 285 to compare to R9 290. It does not matter if it only runs with the newer driver. Btw. I don't think it runs with the latest Tonga FirePro.

Comment

And the APUs?

The release notes says that this driver bring great improvements to APUs. It will be great if the benchmarks include some APUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              I would add the R9 285 to compare to R9 290. It does not matter if it only runs with the newer driver. Btw. I don't think it runs with the latest Tonga FirePro.
              The R9 285 will be in the NV vs. AMD Linux article tomorrow.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Basically this is telling me that there are almost no benefits to using Catalyst on older Radeon cards now that the performance on those regressed to Mesa-git / r600-git levels. The only advantage is OpenGL 4.4 and CrossfireX but the disadvantage is major driver bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  Basically this is telling me that there are almost no benefits to using Catalyst on older Radeon cards now that the performance on those regressed to Mesa-git / r600-git levels. The only advantage is OpenGL 4.4 and CrossfireX but the disadvantage is major driver bugs.
                  Yeah but make that OpenGL 4.xx for now (Radeon doesn't even support full OGL 4.0 for now)...i am not using Catalyst at all already for some time.
                  Catalyst is now only good for the most powerful AMD cards....untill Radeon catches up.

Comment

2nd vote for APU tests here. Kabini, Kaveri, whatever but APUs.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X