Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Valve already get what they wanted from SteamOS? i.e. Win kernel + BigPicture DE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Valve already get what they wanted from SteamOS? i.e. Win kernel + BigPicture DE

I realise there are still some big games being announced with Linux support, but is this really central to Valves 'console' ambitions?

Was it all high-stakes poker to get Microsoft to fold on their rule against vendors distributing Windows boxes using an alternate DE?

Now this has happened, exactly how much do Valve care about SteamOS?

Link?

Comment

For me SteamOS is a flop, it doesn't bring anything new. It's not faster than other linux distros. The base is very old (Wheezy), driver updates are also slow.
      Don't see any advantage on this comparing to a linux distro or even windows.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Link?
        I've got one more blog post before I depart for Dallas. Here's an interesting report showing framerates and loading times of various big tit...

Recent steambox reviews have highlighted that they boot into big picture.

Comment

ctrl-f in that page of "bigpicture" and "big picture" gave nothing relevant about MS changing their position.

Comment

let me help you out there:

" Consider that for decades Microsoft has not allowed anyone, anyone to touch the user experience. Even after Netscape's antitrust lawsuit over active desktop, even after BeOS withered and died hoping someone would sell a windows computer with dualboot, or hell just a windows computer with a "Setup BeOS" icon on the desktop. Steam is facing the Microsoft Store and a real threat that the Microsoft Store will become the way to buy programs (see also: iOS). Steam trots out SteamOS, and Microsoft snickers. The hype train builds up, and Microsoft sweats. Games start to port and Microsoft snaps.
            Alienware ships a Windows 8 PC that boots to Steam instead of Metro.
            Now, let's step back a second and look at the big picture here. At the time, windows 8 adoption is absolute total shit, swirling the drain of a public restroom that hasn't been washed for years. The last windows evangelists are all hanging on imploring people to just try it out, just give it a chance, and oh by the way install Start8 to fix metro. Think about that. PC vendors are on the verge of revolt, their customers refuse to buy their goods, and all for the want of installing a $5 program to fix the metro experience. Best Buy is probably screaming at Microsoft, begging them to allow them to remove the metro experience so they can move their inventory. Hell, they're probably begging them to let them advertise their Geek Squad services to "optimize" the experience and install that $5 program for $100. But no, the Microsoft Experience is inviolate, the holiest of holies, eternally immutable. No matter how much hatred it gets, it Must. Not. Be. Changed .
            And then Alienware ships a Windows 8 PC that boots to Steam instead of Metro.
            SteamOS's job is done. When no-one was looking, Steam took Microsoft and snapped it like a twig. We'll never know exactly what dark magicks were invoked here, but in the blink of an eye, Valve routed Microsoft in a war that nobody even realized was being fought. When Japan makes an anime out of this event, GabeN will point at Steve Ballmer, say omae wo shindeiru and Ballmer's head will implode, without GabeN throwing a single visible punch."

Comment

Alienware (one vendor) shipping such is not proof of a general change. I expected you had new proof instead of that old blog post when making such a thread now.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Alienware (one vendor) shipping such is not proof of a general change. I expected you had new proof instead of that old blog post when making such a thread now.

i think you are rather missing the point in choosing to get your knickers in a twist about whether i can provide legal proof that microsoft has changed its policy.

the purpose of this thread is to ask:

Did Valve already get what they wanted from SteamOS? i.e. Win kernel + BigPicture DE

but since your going in this direction - http://www.trustedreviews.com/syber-vapor-i-review

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
                  I realise there are still some big games being announced with Linux support, but is this really central to Valves 'console' ambitions?

Was it all high-stakes poker to get Microsoft to fold on their rule against vendors distributing Windows boxes using an alternate DE?

Now this has happened, exactly how much do Valve care about SteamOS?
                  Yeah, I have to agree. Big Picture running on Windows pulls the rug from under SteamOS's feet: much bigger games catalog, less half-assed ports and better hardware support (drivers).

And let's be honest, gamers don't give a damn about the stuf running underneath.

Comment

Marginalize

I walk into most stores now and find nothing but tablets.

Speech to Text is the best ever! Laptops are a waste of money.

Huge PC's are only good for servers.

60'' TV + Chromecast + Tablet + Bluetooth keyboard = Programmer's dream

We're waking up and the companies are dying.

PS4 killed Microsoft with FreeBSD driving the nails home!

They'll have to drop the price another $100 (349, now $249) on the Xbox OnE!

Steam is where it's at. If Valve gets back in bed with Microsoft, it's their own mistake.

Comment

Working...
                    X