Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardkernel Launches $35 Development Board That Can Smash The RPi

Phoronix: Hardkernel Launches $35 Development Board That Can Smash The RPi

Hardkernel has announced the latest ODROID ARM development board. The ODROID-C1 is a $35 single-board computer that is similar in size to the Raspberry Pi but with much greater hardware specifications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

* Gigabit Ethernet
    this alone makes it worth it, hard to get a SoC with that anywhere near this price range.

Comment

Someone needs to tell HardKernel to pressure the European store to have a alternative page in English just like many German online stores nowadays have.

Besides that, great little machine

Comment

Very nice.

You will need a few extras, but good overall

Comment

I love the Raspberry Pi, but I think ARMv6 hurts it as a consumer device (which I know it's not meant to be). Liking that this has the ARMv7 instruction set.

But I'll be interested to see which wins out. The Odroid may be more powerful on paper, but the RPi has a lot of backing and devs making things specifically optimised for the hardware (e.g. Collabra with Wayland, XBMC for the RPi, Raspbian etc.). This makes the RPi punch well above it's weight. Will the brute force of the Odroid help it to win out I wonder?

I'll buy one when they're easier to source in the UK and instructions for installing a distro that doesn't suck become available.

Comment

I'll wait until you have an opportunity to benchmark it. I've seen a lot of boards that looked faster than the Pi but benched slower due to things like a weak FPU.

(I am hopeful though. Last I checked, Hardkernel were the main guys producing sub-$100 boards that successfully benched faster than the Pi.)

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
            this alone makes it worth it, hard to get a SoC with that anywhere near this price range.
            I just wish it had eSATA too. Then, assuming it lives up to the performance hype, it'd be everything I could possibly want.

Comment

Very interesting... I thought the U3 was nice but this might be more suitable to my needs. I really wish Hardkernel would make devices similar to C1 or U3 but with wifi instead of Ethernet.

Comment

Spec hunting is for kiddies.
                The real question is: How much more power does it consume?
                As long as it needs more power (which is more than likely) this board cannot smash anything.

Comment

horses for courses

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Very interesting... I thought the U3 was nice but this might be more suitable to my needs. I really wish Hardkernel would make devices similar to C1 or U3 but with wifi instead of Ethernet.
                  I've been on the other side wanting gigabit ethernet, so this release is very nice to see. I have a few different boards of theirs, and each revision they keep doing one better and incorporating feedback, so definitely let them know your preference.

They do sell this little fella for pretty cheap: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/produ...=G137447734369

I've used it. Decent range/throughput for it's size and price. Not sure you'd want to stream Vudu in 5.1 with it, but it's totally viable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    Spec hunting is for kiddies.
                    The real question is: How much more power does it consume?
                    As long as it needs more power (which is more than likely) this board cannot smash anything.
                    I'm sorry.... what? it's an ARM Single Board Computer... the power it draws is negligible so no that's not even a question.

Comment

Working...
                    X