Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Alpha 1

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Alpha 1

The first development snapshot for the forthcoming release of Ubuntu 8.10 (codenamed Intrepid Ibex) is coming out two weeks late -- likely due to Canonical's focus on getting the Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS update out next week -- but what matters is that it's finally here. Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 1 is far from meeting the quality standards for end-users (there isn't even a desktop LiveCD spin of this release), but that didn't stop us from playing with this latest build from the Canonical camp. In this article we are looking at the few changes in the Intrepid Alpha 1 release for Ubuntu and Kubuntu as well as looking at some of the changes they have planned before this release goes gold in October.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe with a dark default theme, I won't be the perpetual usability corner case anymore. I look forward to that.

I don't get how it can ship without kernel mode setting though; that makes no sense to me.

Comment

I like a lot of odd themes but that one is pretty ugly for a default general use theme. I'm glad I'm using Kubuntu with KDE 4.1, it looks far better. It's mostly stable but it needs more work on adding back in options that were in KDE 3.5.x, but they are getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by zerix01 View Post
        I like a lot of odd themes but that one is pretty ugly for a default general use theme. I'm glad I'm using Kubuntu with KDE 4.1, it looks far better. It's mostly stable but it needs more work on adding back in options that were in KDE 3.5.x, but they are getting there.
        It's probably a WIP, though I think the end result won't be much better(brown has it's limits )

Comment

Working...
        X