The Future Direction & Purpose Of Wayland's Weston Is Being Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Why do people still support Trinity (KDE 3 fork)? Some people fully intend to use X.org and Gnome 2 until the day they die no matter what else comes down the line or what the distros do.
    Well a network protocol on the same level as X11 is out of the scope of the wayland project. So either VNC (which is nowhere near as advanced) or RDP (which is not really integrated into Linux yet and ends up pretty much as heavy as VNC) are the only solutions?

XWayland sounds pretty darn cool and a solution that I suspect will be used for many many years to come until Wayland solves these maturity issues.

It is also important to remember that a consumer desktop is not really the only goal of Linux. The many industries that effect the actual direction of Linux, has very different requirements than just a nifty fast desktop environment. Perhaps X11 will end up outliving Wayland in the end. who knows

Comment

Originally posted by hellofu View Post
      Linux Mint isn't suck with GTK2. if your talking about Mint Mate edition yes it uses GTK2 but if your are talking about Mint Cinnamon edition it uses/based on gnome 3 and GTK3. i ask Clem a while back about using wayland and his reply was it was unlikely in the near term. i suspect it will be at least a year or more till it gets use for at least Cinnamon and i don't see Mate ever really making the jump to wayland.
      MATE are porting to GTK3 ( http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/roadmap ). MATE is about having something that behaves like GNOME2, there is no attachment to old technologies. MATE 1.6 dumped a bunch of obsolete libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        The many industries that effect the actual direction of Linux, has very different requirements than just a nifty fast desktop environment.
        I just wanted to point out that, while "effect" and "affect" are different words with different definitions, you have managed to create a sentence that works with either of them. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
          I've had a smooth experience overall, what is your typical use-case? I only keep open native apps, usually 6/8. Has yours been lagging since you bought it?
          The Jolla phone does not have very impressive hardware, so it's not that surprising that one can make it lag.
          At least since Tahkalampi, don't remember before that.
          Also, it seems some of the problems may come from this https://together.jolla.com/question/...ious-problems/ (I spent months thinking I stored stuff on the SD card, while in reality it was just a directory called "sdcard" backed by internal storage until it was full).
          I need to try that "rebalance" thing and see if it fixes this.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
            Plenty of legacy applications call libX11 or libxcb at somewhere in their code.
            Some of them even depends on features of X11 (e.g. Synergy).
            I get that, and I get a lot of the other problems like having to port old gtk2/qt4- apps etc. However I think the distros just dropped the ball here. They could've made "wayland" editions with limitations to Qt5/Gtk3/gnome3 only apps. They could've made wayland DEs as optional packages to install. Any of these would help tremendously to test the whole thing as it unravels and I think a lot of users would be willing to test it out, or maybe even start developing for it if it was easier. The only thing we have right now is the RB distro which is mostly just live CD AFAIK.

2013 an embeded platform works 100% on wayland, it's almost 2015 and not a single non-liveCD distro offers wayland (+ xwayland if needed, no issues there) as at least an alternative. Someone's been slow on the uptake IMO. On the other hand systemd has been deployed on some distroes before it was ready. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti SystemD, just posted that as a comparison. Same could be said about things like pulseaudio etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
              You must be using a different Jolla than I am. Swiping and scrolling is extremely laggy and framerate is all over the place. Drivers lock up about once a week.
              Any hints as to how to get to the same UX as you?
              No idea, I'm on the latest stable. Did you maybe opt in for update 9? My UI has been stable since I got the phone, no lockups, the only thing that effs up is usually the phone function after a call. I lose network for a few seconds, but I'm locked on 2G network with Rogers in Canada due to Jolla not having enough foresight to include a proper all-world radio. That's the most pisses-me-off about this phone for me. The only bug I know of is the one I reported about the kernel reporting bad jiffies since a certain update when waking up the CPU core after a sleep. They acknowledged and promptly ignored that issue, my understanding is that it's due to an androidy kernel patch which they don't understand.
              Last edited by Almindor; 09 December 2014, 12:38 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                I'm talking about the desktop, not ... or sex toys running on Linux.
                Whoa whoa. Where can I get that? Oh the possibilities

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                  I get that, and I get a lot of the other problems like having to port old gtk2/qt4- apps etc. However I think the distros just dropped the ball here. They could've made "wayland" editions with limitations to Qt5/Gtk3/gnome3 only apps. They could've made wayland DEs as optional packages to install. Any of these would help tremendously to test the whole thing as it unravels and I think a lot of users would be willing to test it out, or maybe even start developing for it if it was easier. The only thing we have right now is the RB distro which is mostly just live CD AFAIK.

2013 an embeded platform works 100% on wayland, it's almost 2015 and not a single non-liveCD distro offers wayland (+ xwayland if needed, no issues there) as at least an alternative. Someone's been slow on the uptake IMO. On the other hand systemd has been deployed on some distroes before it was ready. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti SystemD, just posted that as a comparison. Same could be said about things like pulseaudio etc.
                  Can you test that?
                  Fedora 21 will come with GNOME 3.14, which already runs reasonably well on Wayland. Want to find out? It’s super easy to try it out! Let’s take a look at how to run GNOME on Wayland in Fedora 21, what already works, and what is yet to be finished. To run GNOME on Wayland, you […]

Because Fedora 21 has been out for some hours now (possibly just before your post ), so here would be your distro.
                  Probably testable ob OpenSUSE too.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Whoa whoa. Where can I get that? Oh the possibilities
                    They use systemd

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      They use systemd
                      Systemd is quite well suited for that use. Afterall, it involves containers, all-on-one cooperation, socket activation, and many of its component daemons like vibrationd.

Comment

Working...
                      X