Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Dota 2 Game Can (Still) Run Natively On Mir

Phoronix: Valve's Dota 2 Game Can (Still) Run Natively On Mir

Canonical developers have been successful in getting Valve's popular Dota 2 battle arena game running natively under Mir once modifying the necessary libraries. Well, it's been possible since this summer, but they seem to be re-promoting the accomplishment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One concern I have with Mir as it pertains to Steam is that Ubuntu and it's derviative distributions will by in large be the only ones adopting Mir and everyone else will be using Wayland by default.

Since Steam only really *officially* supports Ubuntu and SteamOS and includes a Steam Runtime with a bunch of libraries from Ubuntu, could we in the future see an influx of Steam Linux games developed from Ubuntu-based Steam Runtime guidelines that in turn depend on the Mir technology and therefore not work on the vast majority of distributions using Wayland instead?

Perhaps "MWayland" might be needed to enable Mir dependant applications to run on Wayland without changes?

Maybe I'm missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Since Steam only really *officially* supports Ubuntu and SteamOS and includes a Steam Runtime with a bunch of libraries from Ubuntu, could we in the future see an influx of Steam Linux games developed from Ubuntu-based Steam Runtime guidelines that in turn depend on the Mir technology and therefore not work on the vast majority of distributions using Wayland instead?
      I'm doubtful SteamOS will ever switch over to Mir, but i guess we'll find out. The thing is, I don't think they're going to want to bring in Unity to SteamOS, and without that they are likely looking at a port/maintenance work on Mir of an unknown size/scope. Unless Canonical commits to providing that support for them, I doubt it happens.

Comment

Ubuntu derivs might still be using Wayland, at least at first.

Also valve is sticking to xorg for quite a while till everything is sorted with M/W, which could actually create a sorta chicken/egg situation for driver blobs

Comment

One concern I have with Mir as it pertains to Steam is that Ubuntu and it's derviative distributions will by in large be the only ones adopting Mir and everyone else will be using Wayland by default.

Perhaps "MWayland" might be needed to enable Mir dependant applications to run on Wayland without changes?

There is no such thing as an "Ubuntu-based Steam Runtime" only a Steam Runtime. Also games in the Steam runtime should run on SDL2 which is the same as today.
          Applications only ever need to care about the display server if they does something ver y special and games just care about an OpenGL context.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
            Ubuntu derivs might still be using Wayland, at least at first.
            At the very moment, every derivative is planning to stick with X or migrating to Wayland. No plans for Mir.

Lubuntu/LXQt: aims for Wayland*
            Xubuntu/Xfce: not ported to GTK3, so seems to stick with X
            Ubuntu GNOME: aims for Wayland
            Ubuntu MATE: port to GTK3 is happening, but will still take a while
            Kubuntu: aims for Wayland, but KWin will take a while to be in good shape, I think

Of course, there are no dates for migrating to Wayland. I guess: 16.10, but depends on driver blobs and some other software.

*: if it is light enough and works on old hardware

Comment

When Ubuntu desktop adopts Mir in one or two years (if at all), who says Steam will still officially support it, and not, for instance, Debian?

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                There is no such thing as an "Ubuntu-based Steam Runtime" only a Steam Runtime. Also games in the Steam runtime should run on SDL2 which is the same as today.
                Applications only ever need to care about the display server if they does something ver y special and games just care about an OpenGL context.
                Never looked into the runtime environment to notice it's barely more than a collection of libs from Ubuntu 12.04 to allow games to keep targeting an ancient Linux version? Saying it's not Ubuntu-based sounds just ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                  When Ubuntu desktop adopts Mir in one or two years (if at all), who says Steam will still officially support it, and not, for instance, Debian?
                  Because of the user base, Ubuntu is the largest distribution out there, Debian has a small user base on the desktop compared to Ubuntu, they cant afford to stop supporting Ubuntu, that would make them lose too many potential customers. Regardless of the fact that SteamOS is based on Debian Valve still does not officially support Debian, and SteamOS was to be based on Ubuntu but some licensing issues appeared and they switched to Debian. They were planning to go with Ubuntu all the way. Big companies will always support those with the largest user base, and in the Linux world that is Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Never looked into the runtime environment to notice it's barely more than a collection of libs from Ubuntu 12.04 to allow games to keep targeting an ancient Linux version? Saying it's not Ubuntu-based sounds just ignorant.
                    It doesn't need to be ubuntu based, but currently it definitely is:

A runtime environment for Steam applications. Contribute to ValveSoftware/steam-runtime development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                    X